Reef nutrition

PSA: QT New Rocks

Had a catastrophic fail of my DT with velvet / brook introduced via a handful of newly arrived mushroom rocks...

Usually pretty careful about introducing things into the system but never think about rocks. Though I dipped for parasites, I didn't think about things like velvet or brook clinging to them.

So, after dipping, I threw those new rocks into the sump of one of my DTs...and just lost a bunch of fish as a result. Unfortunately, use the dirty water from the tank to feed my shroom tank.. so 2 of my systems have now been banished to fallow land for next few months. Sigh...

Since the incident, I now have a QT/fallow system set up for newly arrived rocks and the like.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

thanks... was extremely unexpected and a huge lesson learned. Never had rocks be the cause of a system wide infection... but makes sense if you think about it. :/

I decided to forego copper and the like and using the Imaginatarium herbal formula... fish stopped dying so that's a positive sign... we'll see if that's enough to carry through the storm in full

reseller \ LFS.

Though I got chaeto once from a local reefer not on BAr, only to find out he was battling velvet previously... thankfully, turned out he ran his tank fallow long enough. Plus, I distributed that chaeto to 3 systems... none had issues until the mushroom rock incident. then 2 of those had issues... but because I inadvertently have a control, i was able to rule out the chaeto.

I had new fish as well that I QT'd and distributed across 4 tanks... was worried that it might have come in with the fish.. but only the fish in the two affected systems were affected. So... only cause was the rocks.

What are symptoms to look out for? Don’t know about velvet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Velvet it the worst. Fish die in matter of days.

Easiest rule of thumb

Fish looks like sprinkles with kosher salt. Ich
Fish looms like it got a flour dredge. Velvet
Fish looks coated with table salt. Brook

I tried this new herbal stuff as a hail Mary... surprisingly it works. No more fish deaths...and visual spots are gone after the prescribed treatment dosing over 6 days... dosing every other day.

I even dosed my tanks since I couldn't get all the fish out. Also, no more physical signs of infections...

Time will tell if it truly works but I am very encouraged. Either way, will use this stuff as part of my QT procedure from now on.

https://www.amazon.com/Imagitarium-Parasite-Remedy-4oz-FZ/dp/B077MTTY4D

I tried this new herbal stuff as a hail Mary... surprisingly it works. No more fish deaths...and visual spots are gone after the prescribed treatment dosing over 6 days... dosing every other day.

I even dosed my tanks since I couldn't get all the fish out. Also, no more physical signs of infections...

Time will tell if it truly works but I am very encouraged. Either way, will use this stuff as part of my QT procedure from now on.

https://www.amazon.com/Imagitarium-Parasite-Remedy-4oz-FZ/dp/B077MTTY4D

Sounds like snake oil to me. But I have heard peroxide might work with velvet sunset is a form of dino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought it might be too... but tried it, it worked. Just finished my treatment and fish look pretty decent.

I was losing 2 fish a day before the treatment started. But didn't lose a single fish yet since starting. They had velvet too...

That's pretty scary stuff. I wouldn't think that you can get that from a LFS, considering it would hit their systems as well?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Some keep fish with their frags and rock tanks... actually all except AC. Or it's plumbed together... hence some of the challenges

Back