Neptune Aquatics

Pest-Exposed Coral Poll

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Working out all the logistics of having 2 classes of students try fragging responsibly and in advance of swap, when it hit me that maybe no one will want our frags. Please weigh in just so I can gauge opinion.

Situation: Monti-eating nudibranchs ate all my montis in frag tank by the end of summer and possibly DT last year. I have no idea how long I had them because I do not know how fast they eat and I had previously had a heat incident and low Ca/Alk in DT which I thought was to blame for what I thought was bleaching. All of last year I added one Acro colony and the rest were many frags from BAR swaps and members. I always dipped in Bayer, but think that does not kill eggs. I have seen no more pests since I found 2-3 in frag tank on a monti beginning of August

Plan is to frag LPS now, heal on plugs, then pop off plugs just before swap and glue frags to containers or new plugs in case eggs were on plugs. Anything else that could be done? Of course, I would label all the frags I bring.
So, be honest - would you take any of these or not risk it? If no one wants these frags, I do not want to go to all the trouble of packing them up and bringing them. (I mean still going - just not with these frags)
Feeling like I need a shower. : (

Bayer does not kill eggs.

There's a new product on the market. It was made for acro eating flatworms (aefw), but there are reports it works for monti eating nudis as well. It's new so the how legitimate it is, who knows. Experimental at best. It's from the creators of Vibrant.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/purge-for-montipora-eating-nudis.447789/

https://www.uwcmn.com/product-page/...a-eating-flatworm-treatment-pre-order-special
Yeah was about to post this, a lot of people are saying that this kills their montipora eating nudibranchs

Yep, Bayer does not kill eggs. Not into trying experimental treatment because all montipora are gone now, but thanks for the info.

personally, I would pass on a frag labeled with possible pest. Now, I’m not saying that other frags on the table “without” a label stating may have possible pest are clean. Just my .02 cents worth. Trying to save you time.

Likewise, even though I pull everything off the frag disk/plug, regardless of how encrusted it is. Frag swaps are iffy at best even when they're not labeled with possible pest as stated by others.

Back