Neptune Aquatics

Have You Suspended Frags to Grow Out?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Starting a new classroom project sparked by a reef restoration group's challenge. I know this is a propagation method in use, but has anyone here done it? The official challenge mainly involves materials selection and testing which is what the students will do, but I am wondering what you used to hold the frags in suspension, such as fishing line.

Interesting, I’ve never heard of that method before. What is the theory as to the benefit of suspending the frag? Or should I say what is your hypothesis for the test?

Depends on the setup like if you are just hanging some frags in your standard mixed reef tank or in a dedicated frag system, but frags can grow unobstructed in all directions, have good flow, access to nutrients in water column, efficient use of tank space, get reflected light all around if there is open sandbed, and are protected from lots of predators, irritants, algae, detritus, and sediment.
At first I misunderstood, but I think our specific challenge will be to select non-plastic materials to use in an existing design. I thought we were designing a new structure or method of suspension. But we can still do that for ourselves. So I'm thinking students will think about materials, find out about density and buoyancy to meet an aspect of the challenge requirements, research what materials indigenous people used for floating applications, research some materials, test materials in containers of saltwater to learn the effect on water chemistry and what happens to them after being immersed for a long time, if they are safe for our tanks they could put materials in and see what nuisance life grows on them, then maybe make some little models to place in our tanks with frags. The whole time we could also be growing out suspended frags that are not on a structure just to try it out and compare to mounted frags.

Not sure. This is all ideas so far. We have other stuff to do in class and I'm not quite sure how to manage this project or if I need to try to set up another tank (in addition to the coral QT I keep meaning to set up and a tank with light issues, haha). I will speak to our shop and maker teachers next week since they are used to facilitating projects. Plus, I will need the new shop teacher's tools and services, heh heh. Gotta plan out materials I think kids will think of or I will guide them toward so I have some on hand when we're ready to start.

In discussing natural suspension line possibilities, my husband tells me maritime cordage and sailcloth were historically made of hemp. That brings a whole new aspect to the project that would interest students.
ok - just read up on hemp and learned a lot. I have been clueless about this very cool, useful fiber.

Hahaha - I kid you not - that article is open on a computer tab right now. A long time ago Anthony Calfo spoke at BAR/BARE and told hilarious stories of coral prop. I love his funny style.
I think I tried this right after that talk. I didn't find it terribly worth wild though, you don't want a coral to be big and then try to attach it, you tend to want them to attach first then get big.

Well, here is our first attempts at growing frags in suspension, a couple weeks out:
IMG_3334.jpg

And somehow an urchin got a hold of one, as nosy shrimp investigates:
IMG_3315.jpg

I love this idea!

No more frags knocked upside down in the sand (unless they get untied), or detaching from rocks and getting lost!

Interested to see what happens!

V

Funny you ask - I have been working on a tank journal update, so I will paste the suspension update here instead:
Suspending frags changed life in our DT big time. Suspended frags blow everywhere in the current, crash, tangle, cut off other cordage, fallen frags damage and sting corals below. Algae grows on the strings, they get stuck on LR and can wrap around circ pumps. It is difficult to clean the tank, feed, do a water change or add new corals without knocking everything down. Measuring is also difficult! So this is the state of the DT the new aqua classes will inherit tomorrow. Despite all the mess, it is a pretty cool investigation and I am glad we gave it a go. The first time is often the most problematic. The frag strings have been mostly replaced with fishing line and remain hanging for now. Tank hasn't been cleaned much in a few weeks and I think I will have to take off all the support rods of frags for cleaning.

I think in a frag tank with no LR it would be totally different. Also, I don't know exactly what they use in Florida for the frag "trees" in the ocean, but those frags are not dangling. There is something rigid around the line (like a straw?) keeping the frags in their own space, plus the strings are shorter than ours. I have to say that the frags that have survived seem to be growing at a faster rate than the typically mounted frags. For many reasons, our data and observations are lacking.

I saw from one of melevreef video where he drilled holes on LR and use acrylic rod to mount frag. I think that could accomplish similar goal where coral is forced to grow up since it is unable to sprawl?

Back