got ethical husbandry?

Yellow Tang question...

Klems

Supporting Member
Are these guys ALWAYS hungry? Just picked up a small one from Neptune's and he is eating like a pig...I have had to increase the amount of cubes I defrost from 1 to 2 and he is following around the baster and taking food from the corals even after I have fed the fish pretty heavily.

If you have Zoa’s, keep your eyes on them, my yellow tang was picking on it when he wasn’t happy with how much I was feeding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the fish is eating, that's good news but don't get it used to free food; let it pick on the rocks, glass and what not.

Yeah I have also placed a piece of noti on a rubble rock every other day and he goes to town on it....and then the snails and crabs take their turn.
Just wanted to make sure I am not under-feeding him...

I didn’t feel like mine would eat more than the others. I only fed once a day but if I was to feed every 5 mins I think they’d still go crazy every time.

Yes, they're always hungry. I feed my tank 8x a day and both tangs will be there at every one of those feedings. Rest of the time they're grazing throughout the tank.

I like to feed my tangs a little bit of flake food, in an auto feeder, several times a day.
Ocean nutrition formula 2.
The tangs are QUICK to get to the surface when they hear it going.
(I also feed frozen meaty foods at night)

Never had the best of luck with pellets. They sink fast, and my fish do not seem to eat
them off the bottom too well.

Agree that they seem to thrive when fed often.
Small herbivores do not have the most efficient digestive systems.

Fish can eat all day, but be careful of over-feeding the system and getting an algae explosion.

I never realized how underfed my yellow tang was until I got a nori feeder and saw how much she eats. I really recommend the nori holders.

Yep, they know exactly where to be when the AFS goes off. My dispar anthias skim the water surface along with the blue throad and both tangs.

Back