Kessil

Electricity Use

I’m curious how much electricity everyone’s tanks use. If you use an Apex or other means of tracking electric use, please post how much you use. Please post display size and average amps per hour.

My tank:
230 Gallons
6.5 amps/hour

Dave

Amps works, just multiply by .12 (kV) to get kW. Then be amazed at how much your tank costs per day! :D .78 kW per hour x 24 hrs per day = 18.72 kWh per day. Not sure where you live but here in San Francisco that most definitely is beyond our "baseline" so you're into that 2nd tier at the least which is 28.5 cents per kWh which is about $5.33 per day to run your tank. If you don't want the shock, don't multiply that by 365 days in a year :D

E1 rate schedule

Baseline Usage $0.21536 (I)
101% - 400% of Baseline $0.28478 (I)
High Usage Over 400% of Baseline $0.44095 (I)

If the wife asks, just say your tank electricity cost is 0.21 while everything else in the house is 0.28:D

upload_2018-12-11_10-31-5.png

Off the EB832 over course of 24 hours. There's some other stuff plugged into a regular strip which isn't tracked, but then I don't exactly pay for power at work either.

Those spikes are when both heaters kick in.

I try not to look, but every few months, my wife says "Our PG&E bill is so high" ... knowing full well why it's high. I just say "Well, we have an electric car, of course it's high.

If the wife asks, just say your tank electricity cost is 0.21 while everything else in the house is 0.28:D
There ya go, your tank is actually saving money because it uses cheaper power! :D

That said recently got my yearly true up bill from the PG&E overlords and it was under $400 for the year w/ solar panels. Can't complain

I measured my in detail beginning of last year. But heaters were a bit of a guess.
My 240G tank uses about 13 kWh/day.

Time to measure it again. I have improved a few things, and the new Apex can measure heaters better.
pwr.jpeg

Yeah, I'm in the solar panel camp. I haven't paid any attention to power usage or done anything to be more efficient. I have three tanks running and the occasional hospital/QT tank and an electric car. My true up bill from pg&e was under $300 for the year and that included the monthly connection fee to the grid.

Last edited:
Back