1 melanarus wrasse
1 harlequin tusk wrasse
1 pinkface/5stripe wrasse
1 magnificant foxface
1 two spot tomini tang
1 diamond head goby
1 valitini puffer
2 clown fishies

Took some of the sand out of the 90g tank and put in the 25 lagoon. To try and prevent the diamond head gobie from making such big mountains. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I found a solution to my carbon reactor. Issue I was having before is, the sponges used to hold the carbon together to prevent tumbling were getting clogged. So I put a little square of filter pad right in front of the intake of the reactor pump. Hopefully that filters out the particles so the reactor doesn’t lose efficiency. And it’s easy to replace. Checked flow and it’s still good flow.

Only time will tell how this works out.

Well, chaeto just doesn’t seem to want to grow in my sump. I’ve tried a few batches with not much success. It doesn’t die, it just doesn’t grown and gets covered in a “gha” looking algae. I’ve tried 24/7 light cycle and a 10 hr light cycle. No noticeable change. I tried dosing some iron / iodine. With no improvement. I’ve checked my nutrients and they are pretty high (30~ nitrates, .4~ phos) with no nuciance algae growing in the tank.

So next attempt. Built a DIY algae turf scrubber. Those seem to work wonderfully. Here’s my attempt at another nutrient export method that doesn’t cost $300.

Let me know your thoughts!

61968214759230b2463edb7a725e47c3.jpg

Bummer man, I have the same problem with chaeto. Got it to grow pretty well the first few months when the tank was new, then became stagnant. Ever since then, I’ve tried a few more times to no avail then gave up.

Tanks are looking good!

Scrubber should fix the nitrates, once it gets established.
Especially one that big.
Did you rough up the screen a lot? Hard to tell from pic, but looks a bit smooth.

Scrubber should fix the nitrates, once it gets established.
Especially one that big.
Did you rough up the screen a lot? Hard to tell from pic, but looks a bit smooth.

No I did not. Saw some people do it and others not. I made two screens. wanted to see the time difference between one roughed up and one not.

I didn’t really know what size I should make. Square inch wise. Or gph for the pump. So testing this out. See if
It works out or if it only grows in patches.

Over-sizing is not as safe as you might think.
You end up stripping nitrates to a really low level.
Corals starve, and if you have moderate phosphates, Cyano can become a big issues.

Opinion: Scrubbers are good in the beginning, but you should transfer away as corals become more established.

Over-sizing is not as safe as you might think.
You end up stripping nitrates to a really low level.
Corals starve, and if you have moderate phosphates, Cyano can become a big issues.

Opinion: Scrubbers are good in the beginning, but you should transfer away as corals become more established.

Interesting. Didn’t think about that. Maybe I’ll cut the size down smaller.

What would you transfer away towards? I can’t manage to grow macro algae. It just doesn’t grow. And gets covered in gha

Interesting. Didn’t think about that. Maybe I’ll cut the size down smaller.

What would you transfer away towards? I can’t manage to grow macro algae. It just doesn’t grow. And gets covered in gha

Coral-scrubber.
:)
Really. As they grow, they start to use up a lot of nutrients.
Perhaps with some carbon dosing and a small fuge.

I’ve tried fuge. Can’t grow macro algae.

Yeah, I have to admit that confuses me.

I have seen tanks with huge GHA problems that cannot grow Chaeto.
The GHA covers it and kills it, plus grows so fast it takes up other nutrients.
But your main tanks look so clean, so it is perplexing.

Of course - that leads to the question - what are you trying to solve?
Your main tank looks great and seems free of algae.
Who cares if your Nitrates are high and you can't grow Chaeto.

Yeah, I have to admit that confuses me.

I have seen tanks with huge GHA problems that cannot grow Chaeto.
The GHA covers it and kills it, plus grows so fast it takes up other nutrients.
But your main tanks look so clean, so it is perplexing.

Of course - that leads to the question - what are you trying to solve?
Your main tank looks great and seems free of algae.
Who cares if your Nitrates are high and you can't grow Chaeto.

Mostly want to get nutrient levels lower. Some people say high phos leads to unhappiness with sps. But yeah the display has no algae, maybe the herbivores just beat it too quickly. Haha.

In other news, randomly lost a Cali tort colony. I have no idea why, but the only changes I did was remove some rocks from the other tank. To pull the anemones off to do a cipro treatment (mixing nem issues).

I never replaced the rocks because I wanted to do some other stuff with the aquascape.

No parameters swings and salinity didn’t swing as I just adjusted the sump to accommodate the lack of rock volume.

I noticed it before work and by the time I got home from my 16 hr shift it was almost completely gone. Rip.

a93398309fd470b98f4fca3eab2238d2.jpg

f6b360038be58d969e7fd3746fcb5473.jpg

Back