Reef nutrition

The Portal Gives a Great View!

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Super cool new tank toy: The Portal by Innovative Viewing Systems. Not a new product, but it's new to me.
Magnetic magnifier/algae scrubber. Great, clear magnification and makes everything look very 3-D. From 15 feet away you can see the magnified view and it looks cool! Photos are not good but give you an idea of it:

Whole tank. In person the magnified view of pink birsdnest revealed mini brittle stars on the branches:
IMG_3590.jpg

Portal view of
IWSYU Mycedium on right side. Hope to watch it eating up close soon!
IMG_3585.jpg

I love mine. They are a bit overpriced for what they are but I had to have another one for my new build.

I have to be a bit more gentle with the 3/4” glass thickness so that it doesn’t fly off. There was a company at RAP that came up with something similar but not quite as multi function.

AAAArrrgh. Any ideas on how to separate stuck-together super strong magnets??? Apparently there was confusion when I asked some students to rinse the cleaning magnet.

slide them apart instead of pulling them apart. Often helpful if you can wedge one side flush with a wood (or stone... something not magnetic) table top and just push the top magnet almost like sliding from one surface to another.

Glad no fingers were bruised.
Hammer a flathead screwdriver between them, to separate slightly, then slide apart.

Glad no fingers were bruised.
Hammer a flathead screwdriver between them, to separate slightly, then slide apart.
I think I will try that on a vice at home while avoiding the lens. Yikes! For a pretty narrow ring of magnet that thing is strong! I was warned explicitly by the company, so I feel bad to ask them, although they probably know the best way.
I am SO glad no one was hurt. I know someone who worked at the Exploratorium who lost the tip of his nose after it was squeezed between magnets.

The guy was a designer in the shop and unfortunately I forget the removal procedure but I think it involved oil, lumber scraps, and using magnets to pull the magnets off of the nose. The problem was that the blood vessels were crushed and the tissue basically died and fell off. He was left with a nose that looked gnawed off at the end. Really difficult to look him in the eye and not in the nose.
In related history, my husband's friend was working in an optics lab at LBL and was holding a powerful magnet. He turned and another magnet was pulled to it, pinning his side between the two. People used Jorgensen clamps to pull them apart. The force broke one clamp and he keeps it in his workshop to remind him.

OH YEAH - the sliding-down-on-edge-of-counter method worked! I had tried it at the school with no luck, but my husband somehow balanced his entire body on the edge and got it. Phew!

Back