Our mission

Sudden Torch Death

I bought a 3 headed branching purple hammer from a local reefer about 6 months ago. I finally lost the last head this week to brown jelly. It was living peacefully with great polyp extension and looked happy (if that’s possible) with my other hammers. When I was down to one last head, I decided to move it to a corner all by itself but after a week, I noticed poor polyp extension on a small area and the next day BJD.

I didn’t dip it. I was hoping that cutting the infected branch would save it. No other hammers, frogspawn, or torch seem affected.

My torches was never happy in the same tank as other lps, even in 187g, maybe I should just move it to the sps tank that’s free of lps corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My torches was never happy in the same tank as other lps, even in 187g, maybe I should just move it to the sps tank that’s free of lps corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I run my tank as mix, no skimmer, occasional carbon and manual dosing... all my stuff doing pretty well despite the likely high nutriuents

Do you even have a reef any more?
nope. i have a 500g softie tank at a dentists office, but he has put angels and pufffers in there and there isn't much left.
i brought most of my collection to another clients 250g reef but he kept meddling with the tank (like adding a flame angel from 6th ave, some coral loaded with flatworms, etc etc) and i lost so much i dropped him.

i have been contemplating setting up a VERY large tank lately though.

Have you guys read about how softies have chemical warfare on torches that end up killing them? That could be a possibility as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you guys read about how softies have chemical warfare on torches that end up killing them? That could be a possibility as well.

Never heard that. Do you have a link to the article so I can read it

The fact that it was brown die-off that was easy to blow off sure sounds like brown jelly. This is bolstered by the fact that it went from one torch colony to another. I would treat it the same way I'd treat Brown Jelly.
I agree seems like this
Euphyllia can also kill other Euphyllia when little pieces of it float around

Back