Cali Kid Corals

California reef tank crash

Went to California reef today. About 5 days ago the sps system crashed. Looks like they do not have anymore sps colonies or frags now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salinity issue

Not disagreeing, but how much of a salinity issue do you think it would take to do that? The two times I've seen a system crash due to salinity swing both involved a very large water change with fresh water instead of salt. One under the mistakes happen category (measure salinity after if nothing else), the other due to a well meaning house sitting relative.

Hopefully they recover as quickly as one can after a reset.

They have really large water volume, and salinity crash would be significant, unless someone accidentally dropped a bag of salt into the sump in their back room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My guess is ato didn’t stop or skimmer dumped a bunch of water. The skimmer one has screwed me over twice in the past. First time I lost 20k in corals. The second time was 10k. The third time I got a waste container and two float switches. Don’t underestimate the small ones.

Im in the same boat. Skimmer has an external collection jug with a float switch. Ato container has a float valve from the rodi and I use the hydor ato with a small pump and a backup float switch in the return compartment that will shut off the ato power and Skimmer power if there is an issue.

I will eventually go the float switch route too, however for now skimmer just overflows back into the tank, yeah less than ideal especially if I'm lazy with cleaning the cup, but better than essentially what happened to the Oregon Reef (Steve Weast), which may be similar to what happened here.

Back