Cali Kid Corals

Cost of RODI

Curious what folks here are averaging per gallon of RODI, and what setup might give the best cost/gallon?

Been running my RODI setup here and decided to calculate how much it's running me last night. Was a bit shocked that it runs me about $0.60 / gallon of water overall but if you consider my water setup has a roughly 3:1 ratio, that's like almost $2.20 / gallon, not counting the cost of filter and media. Considering I can buy RODI from my local WholeFoods at $0.49 / Gallon or from Neptune at $0.75/Gallon, seems like a huge premium to pay for convenience.

What's the cost per gallon you guys are getting for those with your own RODI setup?

Any recommendations to reduce costs here? With the amount of evap I am getting and need to replenish RODI, this is probably the single biggest reoccurring expense I have in this hobby -- maybe it's time to reduce the number of tanks after all!

I never really took into account because how long things last depend upon how "dirty" your incoming water is, plus I've been super lazy and not gotten around to hooking up a flow meter :D

So just looking at BRS, their universal carbon block is good for 3500 gallons to deal with chloramines (10 times that for just chlorine) I use 2 of them, so figure that's good for 7000 at $14 each, so that $0.002 per gallon right there, and if you assume a 3:1 ratio, that's 0.008 per gallon. I would think the sediment filters cheaper than that. Ditto on dirtiness with RO membrane and resin, but if you figure you change out your resin at the same rate as the carbon blocks a single prepacked mixed is just over $20, so that's cheaper than the carbon blocks. And the membrane can go for years, and at $30 per that's even cheaper still. That's for a very basic setup, mine is a bit more complex and I think only Mike here has more stages than me :D Over all that's a pennies per gallon, not 60 cents per gallon.

Now I'm not counting the initial equipment purchase because yeah that adds to it but that is virtually "limitless" usage you get out of it, so it's a cost that does drop over time.

Ninja edit: The largest cost to this is the actual cost of water, which because they charge sewage based on water usage that's about 10.8 cents per gallon of water with a 3:1 ratio

Last edited:
I don't pay for water.

Even if I did, being able to make 50g of rodi in a day so I almost always have 50g mixed saltwater on hand without ever touching a bucket makes it the most valuable piece of equipment I own.

Reef Geek 3D Printing

Curious what folks here are averaging per gallon of RODI, and what setup might give the best cost/gallon?

Been running my RODI setup here and decided to calculate how much it's running me last night. Was a bit shocked that it runs me about $0.60 / gallon of water overall but if you consider my water setup has a roughly 3:1 ratio, that's like almost $2.20 / gallon, not counting the cost of filter and media. Considering I can buy RODI from my local WholeFoods at $0.49 / Gallon or from Neptune at $0.75/Gallon, seems like a huge premium to pay for convenience.

What's the cost per gallon you guys are getting for those with your own RODI setup?

Any recommendations to reduce costs here? With the amount of evap I am getting and need to replenish RODI, this is probably the single biggest reoccurring expense I have in this hobby -- maybe it's time to reduce the number of tanks after all!
I think you are vastly miscalculating the cost of water. Most bills are for 2 months of usage and show gallons per day used. I pay about 2.5 cents per gallon of water though ebmud.

Please show your math!

It hasn't been through DI media. That makes it taste bad. It's RO membrane then carbon block.

Who knows how old the membrane or carbon is.

Reef Geek 3D Printing

IIRC those machines are basically provided by 3rd party vendors who have a contract with said store and then it's up to said vendor to decide when to actually change out the filters. But being as I doubt there's any high tech communication devices that tell them how many gallons have been filtered, the water could be really good one time, and slightly better than tap water the next.

I can get purified water from the local water shop at $0.30 per gallon...I don't think its DI, but when I tested it, its 0 TDS. I'm not sure how much I'm really saving by making my own RODI vs buying it, especially since the water store is constantly testing at 0 TDS

I can get purified water from the local water shop at $0.30 per gallon...I don't think its DI, but when I tested it, its 0 TDS. I'm not sure how much I'm really saving by making my own RODI vs buying it, especially since the water store is constantly testing at 0 TDS
How much do you think it would cost to make your own? And what’s it cost to drive there and back? And what’s it worth to you time wise to make that trip? And carry all the water?

Back