Neptune Aquatics

Dosing agents from Autozone and Ace Hardware -- say what?

Finally got my ICP since using non-standard sources for dosing Mg, Ca, Alk... Was thinking that I would see off the charts bad stuff from possible impurities from the stuff but looks good enough to continue using (RFH's Recipe #1).
  • Alk: A&M Super Washing Soda
  • CA: Prestone Driveway Heat
  • Mg: Dando Premium Ice (MgCl) and Walgreens Epsom Salt (MgS)
If you are ever in a pinch or wonder about switching, here's my ICP:

shared-widget-1601327448251.jpeg

Last edited:
I’d have serious reservations about trusting ICP-analysis.com. But let’s for a bit assume that your data is ok, I’d be worried if sulfur keeps increasing even with water changes going on.

See my post about the results I got from them.

Edit: oh and I emailed them twice about the funky results I just got crickets.

Last edited:
I’d have serious reservations about trusting ICP-analysis.com. But let’s for a bit assume that your data is ok, I’d be worried if sulfur keeps increasing even with water changes going on.

See my post about the results I got from them.

Edit: oh and I emailed them twice about the funky results I got and just got crickets.
Interesting -- saw a few comparisons and the results looked pretty close.

That said, I think the sulfur is high but not overly high considering my salinity... Was reading some posts and articles by RFH that indicated that is a relationship / balance between salinity and sulfur... part of my spike is probably also due to using the MgS portion of the Mg supplement following his recipe.

I would submit my sample for Triton but I did a rare water change today since I was treating my tank preventatively... so won't have an apples to apples baseline... Maybe for next round.

I hardly do any water changes... maybe 1 - 2 times a year?

Wow! Good to know. I'm curious if there were Product Data Sheets or MSDS for these products?
There are MSDS for everything but the Dando salt... best I could find are poorly translated commentary about no bad stuff from the manufacturer... :). But a few reefers have used this without issues so I gave it a go... since they've used it without concerns. Just good to get some additional data to support the thought (understanding that numbers may not be totally precise but I think they're directionally correct from a systematic error standpoint).

A&H Super Washing Soda
88% soda ash... 12% Water

Prestone Driveway Heat
1601356287929.png

Walgreens Epsom Salt -- just listed as 100% MgS

I got buckets of 4 part that I dont want to use that probably are a similar or better quality if anyone wants or thinking of using autozone stuff im their tank

Yeah, there's a magnesium sulfate, and magnesium chloride (epsom salts and ... something else).

And by "buckets" I mean 4 buckets total, salt buckets, about half full. Not like I have a bunch for everyone, but if people want a small amount I can split into 1 gallon ziplocks or something. In full disclosure these were purchased at sometime (I don't remember when) from one of the LFS that did a bulk buy at one point, I'm not sure of the purity of the stuff, but it does not mix clear, very similar to using off brand stuff like pool hardness (I got a bucket of that too), or de-icer like the Prestone stuff.

Back