Neptune Aquatics

Method #3127 for trying to kill a tank.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
So I reached into the tank to grab the Vortech wetside for some cleaning. Then it hits me "oh crap that is WAY too cold", figure the heater died on me or something, see the controller it's still on and good, go to grab the heater and sump water is nice and warm. Ok what is happening, this is where I notice the water is a bit higher than normal, crap the return pump must have died, check the pumps controller it is definitely not dead and then I noticed it... it got a little too close to the glass and effectively suctioned itself against the glass, so it couldn't circulate water, effectively turning itself "off"... pulled the pump away from the side and angled it a bit so it couldn't do it again and water flowed to the tank temperatures reaching an equilibrium relatively shortly and eventually things warmed back up to normal tank temp everywhere in the system.

Now I don't think this caused anything to die, but yeah... 2+ decades in the hobby and still learning new ways to screw things up.

For a few days I kept smelling that burnt electrical smell...you know! If you've smelled it once, you'll never forget.
I start turning things off and back on days later. Still the smell! Days go by....
Finally...crispy!!

(the tank is full of chaetomorpha)

1619052498782.jpeg

That reminds me, I’ve been meaning to get one of these.

You gotta love the balls on those RE folks, making their plastic pump intake screens around the same price as other manufacturer’s entire pumps (that come with intake screens). When you gotta have the best plastic intake screen.

You gotta love the balls on those RE folks, making their plastic pump intake screens around the same price as other manufacturer’s entire pumps (that come with intake screens). When you gotta have the best plastic intake screen.
I’m not saying it’s not over priced, but it is mostly titanium. The pvc is just where it attaches to the pump.

Back