Reef nutrition

Need a little help...

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I believe the concern is that generally the wiper is connected to a metal rod that could deteriorate over time and add unwanted metals to your tank. They said that the sterilizers with the wipers are meant for freshwater tanks.

Mistake number 19 at 22:00 in the video.
Thanks so much for posting that video.

I gleaned from the mistakes they detail that I have my UV set up from my sump...and set up in the worse way possible. The water feeds up into the unit, across the buib, and then back down into the sump. So, I am only turning water over in the sump...not the tank, and more importantly, there is most likely a big air bubble in my UV in the way in which it is set up. UGH!

I never set one up from my sump pump back to the tank because I felt this flow rate was much too high. How do folks here set up their UV's? From the return pump, or in a closed loop feeding water from the display tank into the UV and then back to the tank?

I looked at their website. They appear to offer 3 different ICP packages. Their least expensive option, Set S, does not specifically state that it has "Free Shipping". The two more expensive options Set M and L specifically state that they do have "Free Shipping". If you purchased option Set S, then it appears that you were responsible for the shipping cost. I'm not a postal expert, but if you had to pay for shipping, then a single stamp may have sent it on a "slow boat" to Florida. I'm guessing it's just taking a little longer than you expected. Maybe you'll see something by the end of this week or early next week?

Thanks so much for posting that video.

I gleaned from the mistakes they detail that I have my UV set up from my sump...and set up in the worse way possible. The water feeds up into the unit, across the buib, and then back down into the sump. So, I am only turning water over in the sump...not the tank, and more importantly, there is most likely a big air bubble in my UV in the way in which it is set up. UGH!

I never set one up from my sump pump back to the tank because I felt this flow rate was much too high. How do folks here set up their UV's? From the return pump, or in a closed loop feeding water from the display tank into the UV and then back to the tank?
As I noted, I'm new to the reefing hobby. I'm not currently running UV, but I've been looking into it. I have limited space and plumbing options, so I am thinking of placing the appropriate size pump early in my sump. As close to the overflow as I can get. Maybe in/near the sock area. Then run the output of the pump through the UV sterilizer and place the output of the sterilizer in the same chamber as my return pump. May not be the best option, but I think it allows me to get fresh tank water, run it through the sterilizer and return it to the return pump chamber where it would get pumped back into the main tank without simply recirculating on a small area of the sump.

Looking at your sump pictures again, I noticed that your overflow looks like it runs through what appears to be vacuum cleaner type hose to your filter socks. If that is true, you might want to replace the corrugated hose with something like reinforced tygon tubing. I would be a little concerned that the corrugate hose is not a true fluid hose and additionally, material might get stuck in the ridges of the tubing and not properly flow to your filter socks, possibly contributing higher phosphates and nitrates.

As I noted, I'm new to the reefing hobby. I'm not currently running UV, but I've been looking into it. I have limited space and plumbing options, so I am thinking of placing the appropriate size pump early in my sump. As close to the overflow as I can get. Maybe in/near the sock area. Then run the output of the pump through the UV sterilizer and place the output of the sterilizer in the same chamber as my return pump. May not be the best option, but I think it allows me to get fresh tank water, run it through the sterilizer and return it to the return pump chamber where it would get pumped back into the main tank without simply recirculating on a small area of the sump.

Looking at your sump pictures again, I noticed that your overflow looks like it runs through what appears to be vacuum cleaner type hose to your filter socks. If that is true, you might want to replace the corrugated hose with something like reinforced tygon tubing. I would be a little concerned that the corrugate hose is not a true fluid hose and additionally, material might get stuck in the ridges of the tubing and not properly flow to your filter socks, possibly contributing higher phosphates and nitrates.
My UV is set up as you state you want to set up yours. Water is taken from the middle section of my sump into the UV and returned to the last section that contains my sump pump returning water to the display tank. But according to the video you posted, this is a closed loop for the sump…and not the display tank.

The corrugated hose is selected to hopefully survive a major earthquake and not snap like rigid pvc tubing. Since it can move, the hope is it will move and flex as the tank, stand, sump all move in different directions from each other.

I looked at their website. They appear to offer 3 different ICP packages. Their least expensive option, Set S, does not specifically state that it has "Free Shipping". The two more expensive options Set M and L specifically state that they do have "Free Shipping". If you purchased option Set S, then it appears that you were responsible for the shipping cost. I'm not a postal expert, but if you had to pay for shipping, then a single stamp may have sent it on a "slow boat" to Florida. I'm guessing it's just taking a little longer than you expected. Maybe you'll see something by the end of this week or early next week?
Hopefully they will clarify shipping coverage in their response to my email reply. It certainly wasn’t stated in their instructions. And the stick on label didn’t state postage was needed either.
If it was, best case is USPS returns it to them for postage as there was no return address from me on that label.

My UV is set up as you state you want to set up yours. Water is taken from the middle section of my sump into the UV and returned to the last section that contains my sump pump returning water to the display tank. But according to the video you posted, this is a closed loop for the sump…and not the display tank.

The corrugated hose is selected to hopefully survive a major earthquake and not snap like rigid pvc tubing. Since it can move, the hope is it will move and flex as the tank, stand, sump all move in different directions from each other.
My UV installation plan certainly isn't the best, but it's about all I can do with my setup. How long have you been using UV? What is the power rating of your lamp and which tank do you have it on 100 or 180. Do you think it's worth the $$? It looks like an Aqua Ultraviolet unit. Those are the ones I'm looking at. I have a 100g display and a 30g sump and I'm think of a 25W unit. How much flow are you running through your unit? Wow, lots of questions for you. Don't mean to press, but any info would be appreciated.

My UV installation plan certainly isn't the best, but it's about all I can do with my setup. How long have you been using UV? What is the power rating of your lamp and which tank do you have it on 100 or 180. Do you think it's worth the $$? It looks like an Aqua Ultraviolet unit. Those are the ones I'm looking at. I have a 100g display and a 30g sump and I'm think of a 25W unit. How much flow are you running through your unit? Wow, lots of questions for you. Don't mean to press, but any info would be appreciated.
I chose the Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt unit. I chose a pump that got me as close to the flow rate they recommended. 1,066 gph. It’s running on my 180.
My 100 has no ultraviolet. Never planned on including one in that set up. Been running without any issues since 1998. Including a move from one house to another. (Not recommended…lol). 100 has skimmer only for filtration.

I chose the Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt unit. I chose a pump that got me as close to the flow rate they recommended. 1,066 gph. It’s running on my 180.
My 100 has no ultraviolet. Never planned on including one in that set up. Been running without any issues since 1998. Including a move from one house to another. (Not recommended…lol). 100 has skimmer only for filtration.
Thank you for the info!

I ordered from this website: https://icp1999.com

The email reply from them to my inquiry ended with this line: " If you used only 1 stamp then depending on the distance it will arrive very late."

I immediately emailed back to inquire as the return label, nor included instructions, stated I need to pay for return shipping.

Sorry to tell you -- with ICP1999.com (Fauna Marin) -- you need to pay for postage. Maybe the post office still has it? They might not be allowed to destroy mail until a period of time elapses; for situations like this.

I mailed a Fauna Marin test last Monday from my local post office. I received results today. Maybe this helps confirm timeline.

Just saw this. Hmm... I purchased "L". And I paid postage. Maybe unnecessarily, though the postal clerk didn't stop me. I'll have to take another look.

.... Good to know and that you aren’t scared by it like it scared me.

People chase numbers way too much in this hobby.
If you look at real sea water, there is a huge variation depending on location, depth, time of day, and so on.
You do not need to be within 1% of optimal, and we don't even know what optimal is.

Just saw this. Hmm... I purchased "L". And I paid postage. Maybe unnecessarily, though the postal clerk didn't stop me. I'll have to take another look.
They emailed me today to say what you have all confirmed...postage was needed. What a waste of time and money. I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is. I didn't notice when I bought the one test that the website said postage was not paid. Call me crazy, but when I peel a supplied label and affix it to a shipping envelope, my instincts say "this is pre-paid". ugh.

Well I’m truly amazed to share this, but somehow my water sample arrived and was tested. Please see the form below and share your thoughts and expertise on my water.
These measurements were taken on the tank just *prior* to the 60 gallon water change.
8FE8F98E-A6C4-4111-A269-824DD16FB160.jpeg

Back