Jestersix

Cloudy water in anemone tank.

So my son decided ask me for his first small aquarium with just two clowns and an anemone for his room. So that happen I grabbed a 14g peninsula from tu and light also hooked me up with a few other things since it was for my kid. So I added two clownfish and maybe 3-4 anemone 3 rbta and 1 rose bubble tip and a lil green torch. So the water started getting cloudy. So I did a water change and it helped somewhat. Then it just started to get more cloudy. I have filter pad, Chemipure blue and a bag of carbon. And I think two cerimic bioballs. And now it’s to the point where you can’t even see inside the tank. Will do some testing today. I’ve also dozed some microbactor in case it was a bacterial blood but I didn’t do anything. Any suggestions?

Cloudy water is often bacteria imbalance. Did you use old rock/media to get the bacterial load going? I have never used chemipure, only carbon, so maybe take that out too. But my guess is lack of biological media and bacterial imbalance. If you are in the south bay, I have a bit of extra live rock in my sump, but it may come with aptasia.

Googled reef tank bacteria bloom
"Ammonia builds up in the aquarium and the nitrogen cycle begins. As the aerobic bacteria establishes itself, it floats through the water creating a cloudy appearance. A "bacteria bloom" can also be caused by sudden increases in ammonia due to overfeeding or excess organic waste and decay."

Did u move any life rock, substrates or bio-balls from your mature tank help with the bio load for ur livestock?

So here's the thing --- Nems are dirty, dirty critters. They expel a lot of slime all the time. A tank that small with multiple Nems exacerbates the issue especially since it hasn't settled in. Moving that many Nems puts a huge amount of stress on them and they reacted. Frankly, it's too many Nems long term for a tan that size.

Putting my money that one of your nems has died or is dying. Have to done a count? And every nem accounted for and healthy?

And water doesn't smell super funky?

Putting my money that one of your nems has died or is dying. Have to done a count? And every nem accounted for and healthy?

And water doesn't smell super funky?
I saw one of the nems go into a tiny crevice and didn’t see him again he was also super tiny so he could be in there somewhere. And the water doesn’t have a smell to it. But from what I’m seeing I could see the silhouette of the other three.and they are nice and puffy.

Back