Jestersix

resealing a starfire glass tank

Nice work so far. I have always wanted to tackle a project like that.

As for the spacing for the gap I’ve seen videos of a aquarium manufacturer using silicone bump stops at the top and bottom corners. Not sure if they take it out or just leave them in there.
825506EA-1790-4FD2-9BC9-A0BEBDBCFE48.jpeg47F43723-2D51-4BEC-BB12-3D119A9C5178.jpeg

I would use something smaller than that as a spacer. I've always seen them left in. There isn't really a way to take them out. Have you figured out how thick the spacer needs to be? I would get a bit of black acrylic and cut out the tiny maybe 1/8 x 1/8" and silicone it into each corner. I've tried my hand at building a tank in the past which is why I originally recommended a spacer.

+1 to what Ian says, bits of acrylic would make for a great spacer.

As for your silicone dispensing woes, you may be cutting the tip of your silicone too large if it's not pushing into the seams, or your gun just isn't powerful enough (pneumatic would be my choice).
Another option would be to super glue your ever so tiny spacers in position, and don't tape the glass together before siliconing. You can hold the glass open to give it a bigger gap then pull it shut, using clamps to get the proper spacing and acrylic spacers will insure it's not too close and you only squeeze out what is needed. Then kind of like constructing a cardboard box, just fold the sides up, clamp it up and clean up the excess.

I do have to admit this is fun watching your progress though, even if you have issues (that's not why it's fun btw :) ).

I remember when @Scott Sweet got his tank dropped off and we helped bring it in, the tank builder was there dropping it off. I’m pretty sure it was CDA. I asked about the spacers and he said they use 1/16” spacers and leave them in. I bought a 12”x12” sheet of 1/16” thick polycarbonate that I intend on cutting into 1/8” squares and super glue them to the edges of the glass so they don’t move on me when injecting the silicone. He said that they tried going bigger and there was too much movement and he had leaks; any smaller and it was too difficult to inject the silicone. I’m going to be doing a pretty large tank and sump so I’ve been doing a lot of research and planning about this. I think many of the tank manufacturers purposefully won’t make videos or share their process.

I saw a video where someone used quarters for spacers. But I'm not sure how he removed them. I assume he pulled out each quarter as he moved along the seam.
Aren't dominos to thick for seams. That would make the tank wider and longer, by up to 0.5'.
Your doing a great job!

Thank you everybody for sharing and your input
Understood, wider gap is not the solution.
Those silicon buttons seem to make great spacers

If I complete the build,, I'll summarize all the steps in a different thread to keep it shorter.

At least there's good info here for the next person that wants to take on similar project.

The chip gotten worse. To a point I don't feel it's safe for the tank integrity.

Sadly going to stop here

If anybody want these glasses for table top or whatever. They're yours.
20211019_174858.jpg
20211019_174928.jpg
20211019_174912.jpg

@popper, That’s really not that bad. I had a used tank with a void that was filled with epoxy right on the seam. It was at the top so it had very little pressure on it.

At least do it up for practice and water test it outside.

@popper, That’s really not that bad. I had a used tank with a void that was filled with epoxy right on the seam. It was at the top so it had very little pressure on it.

At least do it up for practice and water test it outside.
@popper I didn't want to say this at first, but my gut reaction was create a square mold with blue tape, epoxy over the chip, then sand it flush with sand paper. I bet it would still work. Don't cheap out and use harbor freight epoxy though, get some 3M or something reputable that will harden properly.

At least there's good info here for the next person that wants to take on similar project.

The chip gotten worse. To a point I don't feel it's safe for the tank integrity.

Sadly going to stop here

If anybody want these glasses for table top or whatever. They're yours. View attachment 32703View attachment 32704View attachment 32705
Yes, I agree that the damage is not all that bad. If it's at the top corner of the tank. I think you can still salvage it. You might just have more silicone in that area of the crack and it won't look pretty but it'll still hold wate fine.
You should complete the build so that you have more experience for the next tank you build.

Sorry that happened to you. Best of luck if you decide to move forward with the others' recommendations but otherwise totally get it if you choose not to. Seems like you've already poured a lot of sweat and stress in to this haha.

Back