Reef nutrition

[HELP!] BIOTA Yellow Tang fins receding

Hi everyone,

Over the past 2-3 days the fins on my yellow tang have been progressively receding/what looks like ripping. My fish are fed a mixture of frozen food (PE MYSIS, brine shrimp, ocean nutrition formula one) and have access to green nori everyday. I have not seen any fish aggression and do not see any redness on the yellow tang. I was fighting a Dino outbreak 2 weeks ago and was able to get a better hold of it after a 3 day blackout. All of my fish have been eating and behaving normally throughout. My nitrates (2ppm) and phosphates (0.02) are low, hence the Dino outbreak but I am working on getting them higher by feeding more and I turned off my skimmer for the time being. All other parameters are fairly normal alk 9.1 Ca 444 Mg 1300. There is no carbon in my system. After a ton of googling my best guess is this could be HLLE or a bacterial infection. I do have a QT set up I can use to separate and treat him if needed. Does anybody have experience with this and can identify what is wrong with my fish? What can I do to help my fish heal/treat?
C44B132B-6D18-43FF-960C-B3622565A15A.png
60A0BAD2-E38D-43EE-BAF9-7C03C4DCE3EF.png

I have the two ocellaris clownfish, a red hawkfish, a royal gramma, yellow watchmen goby, a blue damsel, a fire goby, and the yellow tang all in a Red Sea Reefer 350 (73 gallon display). I really don’t have that many fish for the size tank. The tank is 8 months old and I’ve carefully quarantined everyone before being added to the display tank. The only fish that has shown some bullying tendencies with new additions is the royal gramma but it’s all bark and no bite as far as I’ve seen. thanks everyone! I’ll try addressing aggression and separate my yellow tang for the time being

You definitely have a nipper, or maybe a couple. (My money is on the blue damsel or hawk fish) All the fish you mentioned are to be considered semi-aggressive and territorial aside from the fire fish. Yellow tangs, especially of biota size are relatively peaceful. Try pulling the yellow tang to allow it to heal. Possibly grow it out a bit before reintroducing it to the display.

If you don’t pull it, you risk permanent damage to the fins as the aggression will likely continue. or worse case a fatal loss.

I’m separating the yellow tang today to give him time and space to heal. Made a makeshift separation out of a sheet of acrylic plastic I had. Hopefully that’ll give the yellow tang the space and time it needs without removing it from the tank. I suspect the red hawkfish more so than the damsel after watching them for hours yesterday. Any suggestions on the reintroduction?
image.jpg

Last edited:
I’m separating the yellow tang today to give him time and space to heal. Made a makeshift separation out of a sheet of acrylic plastic I had. Hopefully that’ll give the yellow tang the space and time it needs without removing it from the tank. I suspect the red hawkfish more so than the damsel after watching them for hours yesterday. Any suggestions on the reintroduction?View attachment 42141
Sell off the suspect fish
Then when the tang is in charge
Get new fish
However...
The tang is going to become the aggressor
So add several new fish simultaneously

Back