Cali Kid Corals

125 Tank Upgrade.. help please

Ok it's time I upgraded, just not like I originally thought. Originally I was wanting to upgrade to a 180 gallon, but for lots of reasons I need to keep it smaller. So that being said I need to sell some stuff and buy some stuff.

Buying:
I think I want a 125 gallon with a footprint of 48x24x24.. Oceanic makes some nice glass ones with single overflows. Where can I get good pricing? I'd like to look at the gamet the super sleek starfire fronts and the regular ones. But I need to get my bearings on prices, since I've never bought a new tank. Typically I just buy used tank for about $1-2 per gallon. Even my 220 glass cost me $350. So who should I deal with and what do you guys reccomend.

Selling now:
180 Gallon Oceanic Tank (Like New), polished, resealed and looks new, no sctaches
55 gallon glass sump with glass baffles fitted for the 180
Refinished stand
, sanded down stained and reinforced, it can hold a elephant now :)
Two 400 Watt Modul PFO MH lights with dual PFO ballast

Wouldn't it be called "downgrade" ?
Anyway are you looking into buying new or used? That way people can keep an eye open for you if they come across one. Your location too would help.

upgrade b/c my current coral tank is in a 90 gallon :) The 180 is empty in my garage, just taking up space. So after I sell the 180 and get the 120... I'd still have another 90 gallon glass to sell.

Could be new, but if used it would need to be a 9 out of 10. Area doesnt matter, I'll drive to Morrow bay for a good deal :) Well... lets say Santa Rosa south to Monterey, east to Sac.

But looks like that tank is 30" tall and still only 18" deep But it is a great price. I'll prolly sell my 180 for $550 tank, stand & 55 gallon glass sump.

thanks guys, that tank does have the dimensions I'm looking for, gonna look at it on Wed, no Starfire glass though, and one weird thing is the center brace was cut out and replaced with a stainess steel rod. So I dunno, but gonna look it over.

Were can I get new prices on a starfire front tank thats 48x24x24 rimless. Gonna look around I know lots of people have looked into the starfire glass but I'm not sure where to begin to ask and I want to get a good idea of where I can find great prices on a tank if I dont go the used route.

slim_jim989 said:
I got the tank for 900 at Neptune aquatics. And mannylee what's your problem
I haven't started it yet just got it into the house.

Are you still interested in having a custom stand made for the tank? Let me know.

Mike

Thanks ,not sure about that yet.

I called glasscages.com talked to a older gentleman for a while. He said they guarantee the tank not to leak for 90 days. And they make westcoast runs 2x's a year. So they have their own truck coming to LA and they only charge $96 if you pick it up at the dock down there.

So for $674 I could get a tank that the front and sides are Starfire glass. Get to pick the location of my overflow and get the tank Eurobraced. They use 1/2 glass, unless I would want to go rimless in which case they would use 3/4 inch glass. But I'd heard alot of scary things about rimless tanks that are over 20" tall. What are the bad things your heard about them? What are the good things you've heard too?

177ike said:
slim_jim989 said:
I got the tank for 900 at Neptune aquatics. And mannylee what's your problem
I haven't started it yet just got it into the house.

Are you still interested in having a custom stand made for the tank? Let me know.

Mike

naw I'm good 177ike. I didn't go the custom route thanks though

I would be very wary of glass cages. From what I know their work is iffy at best. You get what you pay for. If you are willing to drive down to LA why not look into Lee-mar.

I'd be wary of Glass Cages as well. Here's a buddy's 90g tank from them (48x22x20).

Looked great in the beginning:
90gallon_19.jpg

~ 4 months after:
90gallon_23.jpg

Back