Neptune Aquatics

$19.95 ICP test now?

some further hunting, leading me to the R2R site shows this is what it tests

Magnesium, calcium, potassium, strontium, boron, iodine, sulphur, sulphate, phosphate, phosphorus, silicon, manganese, lithium, molybdenum, iron, bromine, chromium, cobalt, beryllium, vanadium, zinc, antimony, copper, barium, selenium, cadmium, tin, aluminium, titanium, nickel, scandium, zirconium, silver, tungsten, lanthanum, arsenic.

not sure what the triton does, or the other brand ICP test.

TRITON: same panel as ICP1999.com (except what's labeled as "different") PLUS: mercury and lead

Sodium (Na) -SAME-, Calcium (Ca) -SAME-, Magnesium (Mg) -SAME-, Potassium (K) -SAME-, Strontium (Sr) -SAME-, Boron (B) -SAME-, Bromine (Br) -SAME-, Sulphur (S) -SAME-, Lithium (Li) -SAME-, Beryllium (Be) -SAME-, Barium (Ba) -SAME-, Titanium (Ti) -SAME-, Vanadium (V) -SAME-, Chromium (Cr) -SAME-, Manganese (Mn) -SAME-, Iron (Fe) -SAME-, Cobalt (Co) -SAME-, Nickel (Ni) -SAME-, Copper (Cu) -SAME-, Zinc (Zn) -SAME-, Aluminium (Al) -SAME-, Silicon (Si) -SAME-, Arsenic (As) -SAME-, Antimony (Sb) -SAME-, Tin (Sn) -SAME-, Cadmium (Cd) -SAME-, Selenium (Se) -SAME-, Molybdenum (Mo) -SAME-, Mercury (Hg) **DIFFERENT - not in ICP1999.com's**, Phosphorus (P) -SAME-, Phosphate (PO4 -SAME-), Lead (Pb) **DIFFERENT - not in ICP1999.com's**, Iodine (I) -SAME-, Tungsten (W) -SAME-, Scandium (Sc) -SAME-, Lanthanum (La) -SAME-.

ICP1999.COM: same panel as TRITON (except what's labeled as "different") PLUS: sulphate, zirconium, and silver

Magnesium -SAME-, calcium -SAME-, potassium -SAME-, strontium -SAME-, boron -SAME-, iodine -SAME-, sulphur -SAME-, sulphate **DIFFERENT - not in TRITON**, phosphate -SAME-, phosphorus -SAME-, silicon -SAME-, manganese -SAME-, lithium -SAME-, molybdenum -SAME-, iron -SAME-, bromine -SAME-, chromium -SAME-, cobalt -SAME-, beryllium -SAME-, vanadium -SAME-, zinc -SAME-, antimony -SAME-, copper -SAME-, barium -SAME-, selenium -SAME-, cadmium -SAME-, tin -SAME-, aluminium -SAME-, titanium -SAME-, nickel -SAME-, scandium -SAME-, zirconium **DIFFERENT - not in TRITON**, silver **DIFFERENT - not in TRITON**, tungsten -SAME-, lanthanum -SAME-, arsenic -SAME-.​
I just bought one. $19.99 + $4.99 S/H. $24.98 total. My guess is their online reporting may not be as detailed. Will see.

Last edited:
I did a group buy on here years ago for $20 ICP teat kits. I forget who it was through or what exactly it tested. I never actually used mine and still have two of the kits left over.

I think I remember @rygh got one from me. Do you remember if it was any good?

Found it.

I just bought one. $19.99 + $4.99 S/H. $24.98 total. My guess is their online reporting may not be as detailed. Will see.
Where did you get it? Their webpage says "free shipping", now I'm not sure if that means shipping it back to them is free, or if getting it from them is free.

I did a group buy on here years ago for $20 ICP teat kits. I forget who it was through or what exactly it tested. I never actually used mine and still have two of the kits left over.

I think I remember @rygh got one from me. Do you remember if it was any good?
Yes, it was fine.

Where did you get it? Their webpage says "free shipping", now I'm not sure if that means shipping it back to them is free, or if getting it from them is free.

faunamarinusa.com (by way of ICP1999.com)

I’ll let you know. You’ve got a good point—that could be why it’s at a lower price point.

UPDATE

Ordered test kit Thursday 3/11. Received Saturday 3/14. USPS 1st Class Mail from Houston, TX.

I’ll be mailing from SF on Monday to Fort Myers, FL.

Updates when results received. So far, just like Triton’s.

73B83738-7550-4AD4-99B4-D5E3BA80652C.jpeg
02594422-0866-4B76-B52F-1786B8FAC004.jpeg
37A8A0FD-D059-454D-B1AA-2E5824292108.jpeg

54994766-7579-4D73-BD36-7BA20F86E57C.jpeg

Was return postage included?

No. Okay--not "just like Triton's". Also, there doesn't seem to be a web interface to create a profile where results are posted and archived. But as far as ease... like Triton's. The returned mail will be around 5 oz. And shipped to FL. Total cost should be under $25.

UPDATE: Received test results via email today. Total days from order to results: 12; ordered 3/11 received results 3/23.

I’ll post a comparison between my prior Triton results from a couple months ago and what I received from Fauna Marin ICP Lab today in my tank journal.

It wasn't until I sat down and laid-out the results from both ICP companies could I come to any sense of their similarity. They're nearly identical, except for their differences in profiles included (see March 12 post). I combined their results below.

Both companies use the same units of measure, naturally--comparing is straightforward. If you wish to depart from the more expensive to the less expensive option, from what I can tell, test results are comparable.

What I don't know, of course, is accuracy of the test results. I put my trust in the methods used by both companies, though I do get a PO4 reading that is greater than 0 using my Hanna test where Fauna Marin ICP reported "unmeasurable".

ICP Test Record Squist RSR250 20200404.png

My plan is to stick with the $19 option through Fauna Marin and run it every two months while I get matters in order.

I am migrating these test results to my Tank Journal and will continue updates there for anyone interested.. Thanks Mike (@sfsuphysics) for bringing this $19 testing option to my attention. I'd rather not spend $30 more, though I do miss the Triton web interface and test archiving. Other than that, presuming all other things equivalent, it's a push.

Last edited:
To address possible over-dosing and metals found in the 3/23/20 ICP test (above), I'm doing the following:
  • weekly or bi-weekly 30 liter water changes (around 12% system total) and,
  • I've added layers to one sump's filter cups to include: Rowaphos, Polyfilter (7"x4"), and Cuprisorb (100g). I've been using the Rowaphos like this for a month or more to try reduce silicon. Seems to be working. Adding the other two layers to try to draw down some of the red values from ICP test above (from 3/23/20).
We'll see how this goes. Another ICP test in May.

Sump filter cup Squist RSR 250 20200405.png
Sump filter cups Squist RSR 250 20200405.png

Did you identify the sources of the heavy metals contaminate?
The more you use rowphse the less your po4 will be. You need to bring your po4 up a bit.
Why are you still using rowphse, for silica remover?

A catch-22! Correct, I’m using Rowaphos for silica removal — and seeing it fall. Which is good!

And, as you’re suggesting, PO4 on my Hanna test, yesterday, registered 0.01.It too is falling.

Nitrates are consistently measuring 10 and corals are looking good. So, I’m staying the course until silica and the other red flags are minimized.

Back