got ethical husbandry?

2 questions: LPS & Mushroom compatibility and Paly or Zoa ID

2 questions all wrapped up into 1 picture:
1st question:
I'm concerned one of my prized LPS, a bowerbanki (I think) I got from IMAC, is in danger of some purple hairy mushrooms on the right side growing into its' space. I don't want the mushroom to kill or damage polyps, does anyone know if the mushrooms will damage the LPS or will the LPS be able to fend it off or be unbothered? For now I've scraped the mushrooms back to be on the safe side.

The 2nd question is about the polyp at the bottom middle with ??? next to it. What the hell is this? It seems like a nuisance paly or zoa, like what a majano is to anemones. This polyp spreads throughout my tank, in random locations in small nooks/ crevices. Kalk and hot water can sometimes kill it, often not. Overall it's pretty small and doesn't harm anything, but just feels like it shouldn't be there. Anyone seen this before and have any ideas on ridding it?

Mushrooms > LPS. IME, I've never had a LPS win against a mushroom.

Not sure what the answer to question 2 is though.

+1 to Ian re: the mushroom vs LPS

About the polyp.....hard to tell from the pic w/ actinics. But if it looks good, then grow frags and start a new trend?

Phish- I can give you a frag, but you'll regret it later. :bigsmile:

i'll move the LPS or trim mushrooms more, no need to chance losing part of a good coral to mushrooms which I regret having in the 1st place.

The polyp has 2 colors and looks like a large zoa, small paly. It doesn't resemble the aptasia in my tank which is a solid red color. Maybe it's a different type of aptasia since it behaves like it.

I hate shrooms they will take over a tank in no time and they sting anything in their way ... the only thing that will beat them are bubble corals, hammer, or those types of corals.

northbay-reefer said:
*I hate shrooms they will take over a tank in no time and they sting anything in their way ... the only thing that will beat them are bubble corals, hammer, or those types of corals.
*In the voice of Grumpy Smirf. (kidding) All true, shrooms can be real stingers. I do like Ricordeas though, both Yumas and Floridas and I have a few others including Viet Nam Blues, green stripe and green hairy. I don't care much for those that lose their grip and go free swimming and have never had much luck getting them to re-attach to new rocks I try to keep shrooms at the substrate/LR zone on the bottom. They are like having a planter box of flowers at the bottom of a window and make a nice transition from substrate to LR.

+1 aiptasia

I personally would not worry too much about hairy Mushrooms and this LPS... The LPS I think you have is some ACAN or Favite... But more on the ACAN side...

I think ACANS can kill any mushrooms they come in contact with. Recordias or Hairy Mushrooms. That would be my bet since I have both! The only think killing my Mushrooms and Recordias are other Mushrooms who cover them up! Not even stinging ones!

aalhait said:
+1 aiptasia

I personally would not worry too much about hairy Mushrooms and this LPS... The LPS I think you have is some ACAN or Favite... But more on the ACAN side...

I think ACANS can kill any mushrooms they come in contact with. Recordias or Hairy Mushrooms. That would be my bet since I have both! The only think killing my Mushrooms and Recordias are other Mushrooms who cover them up! Not even stinging ones!
Trust me, acans will always loose to mushrooms.

Got a picture in full light of the zoa/ paly/ aptasia. As aptsia goes, it's not that bad looking, but not as pretty as the 'yellow polyp aptasia'. :) If anyone has dealt with it before please chime in.

Back