Kessil

225 upgrade IS HERE

iani

Supporting Member
UPDATE
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9458?page=3#comment-131301

Don't get excited this won't be happening anytime soon. But I wanted to do something crazy with my rock work and figured now is as good a time as any. I want to thank Jimmy for helping out on the rock. The pictures don't do the rock justice. Jimmy can tell you so. Lots of ledges cannot be seen. One archway rock is 20 inches front to back. I wanted to keep the rock to about the middle of the tank in height to allow room for the sps to grow. Also there is a center rear overflow in the tank so the rock work needed to work around that. The rocks were put together with zip ties, one nylon rod, and a bunch of hydraulic cement. The cement in the shots are not yet cured, it will end up a lighter grey color. Here are the pictures.

front
BKK_3089small.jpg

BKK_3099small.jpg

front left
BKK_3084small.jpg

front center
BKK_3086small.jpg

front right
BKK_3085small.jpg

top left
BKK_3091small.jpg

top center
BKK_3092small.jpg

top right
BKK_3093small.jpg

I should offer to "rock sit" them in my tank till Ian sets his up. =P Dude you need a soda can to show the size and scale of the rocks. each section was like 30lbs!

Bryan you can see the tank on the right side of the background.

Eric, tank but no water.

Lap, hopefully I can get it setup soon.

Jimmy, thanks again for helping out. I guess I should have put something next to the rock for scale. I also should have taken some side shots to capture the overhangs that jut out to the front.

Joel, thanks.

Jon, I am going to put a shallow sand bed. I am going to use the sand that Mark recommended (tideline).

Video of my work. It gives you a better idea of the caves and ledges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKiYlHPC9wY

Key Largo or Fiji Rock? Just saying Marco rock is like saying you drive a car ;)

Hey Ian, what brand of mortar did you use? I did the same thing as you a few years back for my tank, but ran into problems with the mortar disintegrating over time. The Aquarium in Concord (now closed) used the same process and after a couple years they found the same problem ... unfortunately this was in their 1200 (or however big it was) vertical display and the boulders of live rock detached from the mortar and rods and tumbled down. If these are out of the tank, though, you can do a few things to ensure they hold up longer.

Mike, those are my favorite too.

Gresh, key largo. I asked Mark to make sure he included a bunch of nice flatter pieces when he shipped the order.

Eric, way more than my current tank.

Robin, I used sakrete hydraulic cement made to use as a leak stopper. From what I read online this is the cement of choice.

Thanks, smitty.

Back