Cali Kid Corals

24 Gallon NUVO aquarium.

Kmooresf

Supporting Member
Hey all,

So Ron and I have put together a nano system. We are both really into LPS, and they just don't love the over 800 watts of light on the big tank, so we decided to make a small tank for the entry way that we can show off some fun LPS and softies. ;) Probably be mushrooms, zoo's and LPS. We loved the look of the NUVO tanks and ended up buying the NUVO 24 long. These tanks have built in filtration in the back and a sleek design. The tank has a fun size with 36" long x 12" wide and 13" tall. After the filtration chamber, it's about 9" wide.

We have been cycling for about a month, and it was running with tap water for about a month before that with some large pumps and heaters in there. After we bought it, we found a bunch of horrer stories about them breaking, so we wanted to test it out before putting it upstairs. So far so good.

I built a cool little canopy for it as well. We had bought some kessil arms to hold it, but it was too heavy, so we had to come up with a plan B. We wanted to be able to move it out of the way if necessary, and we were able to find something that worked. ;) We are using a Ecoxotic 36" "Marine" fixture as the main light. We also added two ecoxotic RGB units for some fun lighting effects and a moonlight. ;)

Figured out a fix for hanging.

We painted the canopy with a black laquer finish.

Ron wanted it to fit with the decor of the room, and I think we managed that. Once it's filled with colorful coral, I think it will be a lot of fun.

We cycled the tank with two little fishies......a "One spot blenny" and a "yellow clown goby." Both are fun and seem to enjoy each other.

No plans for a skimmer at this point, but we will see if we need to add one in the future. There are several small HOB skimmers that would work, but would prefer to keep a clean look. We plan to add a fun shrimp, some hermits, snails, and eventually would like an Urchin to help keep things clean. Maybe one more fish, but the lighter the load, the less likely I will need a skimmer. We cycled the tank using water from the big reef, and that worked very well. I may just continue to use that water, since I do water changes often on the big one.

saw this in person today and it's a really clean setup. makes you reminisce the time that things were fresh, and everything was a blank canvas.

Got any updates? I have always liked the dimensions of that tank.

LOL! I didn't even realize this was my tank when I clicked on the thread. Guess I should update the thread. Ha!! I spend so much time on the big tank, that I neglected the little one for too long. Had a huge alk drop while away for a week, and lost a shrimp and my sweet pipe fish that was eating frozen brine. Totally mad at myself. However I have the Alk back up, and a renewed drive to make this little tank awesome. I will take some pics this week and post. Thanks for reminding me that I had a thread on it. ;)

I don't know how I missed this tank. I love the dimensions on it! Its similar to my 30 gallon that is 36" L. Sorry to hear you've had some difficulties, but thats just part of having a nano. Nowhere near as stable. You may want to consider adding some inexpensive dosing pumps on the tank for alk and calcium. I know I put that off too long and my tank is thanking me for finally doing it and keeping the levels much more stable.

I just love your decor! Nice work with the hanging canopy! I love when people have their tanks blend in with their decor. It looks so much nicer that way :)

Back