Neptune Aquatics

34 Gallon RSM - Upgrading Lights

OK so I'm going to upgrade the lights in the next month or so and I wanted to know something... The little sticker on the red sea max near the lights says "Replace With 2x 55w T5 Power Compact Fluorescent". Does this mean that they are T5 or Compact Fluorescent? I'm dumb about lights... :bigsmile:

55W is a power compact bulb, 54W would be a T5 bulb, and if it was a 54W T5 it'd be 4 feet long, which is a little bigger than your tank! I believe the 55W PC bulbs are about 2 feet long so that would make sense for your tank.

Only thing to double check would be the pin layout of the bulb, there will be 4 pins, but they might be in a straight line . . . . or in a square shape : :

they're in a straight line. I'm looking at these 2 but IDK how long they are. My lights are about 20"...

65w - http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?category=65W_Power_Compact_Bulb_Straight_Pin_65_Watt_50_50_White_Blue_Straight_Pin_Power_Compact&vendor=PowerCompact&idProduct=PC5643&IdCategory=FILTBUPCSPSWFF&child=PC5659&tab=1&color=6700K%20Colormax%20(Coralife)

95w - http://www.marinedepot.com/96W_Power_Compact_Bulb_Straight_Pin_96_Watt_Straight_Pin_Power_Compact_Light_Bulbs-UV_Lighting_Company_(UVL)-PC5953-FILTBUPCSP96-vi.html

There is a drop-down menu that lets you specify the type of light you want... IDK which I should get. I want to keep lots anemones in my tank so which is best?

The 96w are 3' long bulbs which won't fit. Some PC ballast will power both 55w and 65w bulbs, but I'm not sure about that RSM ballast.

In regards to 'nems, I wouldn't put them under that sort of lighting, unless you intend to feed it regularly. If you really want to keep 'nems in the long run, then I would look at the bottom two retros in this link:

http://www.nanocustoms.com/index.php?cPath=20&sort=&filter_id=5

Once you upgrade you'll then find out your tank is running really hot and you'll need to figure out a cooling solution.

and a lot of nems where you try and make up for lack of light by more feeding = dirty tank = bad stuff will happen without a good skimmer.

Matthew, the RSM 130 (the 34 gallon) has power compact lights which Red Sea calls T5s. I'm not sure if they are mutually exclusive but I've seen this debate numerous times on RSM forums.

When you say "upgrade", are you looking to replace the bulbs or install an entirely new lighting set up?

Nems are best kept under high intensity lighting. I wouldn't even try them under anything other than MH's or an array of real t-5 HO's. Perhaps LED's would work too but I don't know. Once again, you've asked for advice here, gotten the same recommendations and advice from the veterans and it remains to be seen if you'll actually take this advice this time around or if you will rush out and kill another $750 of innocent, beautiful creatures. Sorry if that's harsh but there's a real pattern to what you're doing and while you may be out money, many animals are dead as a result of your impatience and poor husbandry. Once again, please go slowly, please ask for and take advice, please research thoroughly whatever you plan on acquiring, and when researching something go with the majority opinion instead of the one guy who claims you can keep nems under a 25w bulb. HTH-Jim

I'd LOVE to upgrade my bulbs to T5. However I can't find any... so I'm resorting to PC Fluorescent light bulbs. I'm just looking to upgrade light bulbs. I was thinking if I can't upgrade type of bulb, then maybe I could upgrade to a 65w PC Fluorescent. I just want to know my options. I was offered to buy some MH lights for a cheap price for a new lighting system, but my mom says no because me tank smells. She doesn't understand the whole concept of the skimmer tanking out stinky stuff from the tank... so she wants the hood to be kept on which means I can only upgrade light bulbs. I talked to her before about nanocustoms and saving up my money to send my hood in and have them install the HQI stuff and better fans but my mom says it's too expensive... so if somebody could find a BULB upgrade that would help my tank I would be very grateful... probably grateful enough to give a frag or two to whoever could help find some good bulb upgrades. I'm still looking for lighting upgrades as well, but I'd love help because I classify my self as a very advanced beginner... :D
I keep RBTA and GBTA under my current lights and feed them weekly. They do pretty well and don't bleach out so if I got some better lights maybe I could feed less and keep more anemones. :bigsmile:

Thanks everyone!

Euphillia, I know you want nems, but the answers you are getting here are the exact same answers you have gotten in the other few threads where you have asked the same things.

I'll just get it out and say you can't/shouldn't get nem. Here is why (based on this post and your past threads)

1) The general concensus is that you need more light with Nems (a good T5 or MH setup)
2) You cant do an external MH or T5 because of parents and $
3) You cant do an internal T5/MH because of $, usable space (for individual reflecton on T5 which is what you'd need), heat
3a) a retrofit with additional PCs could MAYBE get you enough light, bit it is still $$, electrical installation work (a "qualified person" would need to do it)
3b) assuming you could do internal MH, or additional PC bulbs, you would have a lot more heat which means you need active cooling, which is even more $$
4) THere is no PC light you can swap in the hood that will significantly "upgrade" your tank.

Your track record shows that you will keep ignoring the sage advice of others and keep asking the same question or a variation of the question till you get the answer you are looking for. I hope you will break this track record.

I'm not asking if I can keep anemones. I'm asking if there are any bulbs that I can fit in my hood with higher wattage. If the answer is no, then just say no, and I'll buy ones like the ones I have. ;)

Tony if the nem's are under $40 it's OK if he kills them ;) /sarcasm

Remember guys he is only like 10 or 11 years old. Hopefully he is learning no need to tease him about it all the time. maybe PM's would be better?

Nope. Have not forgotten that fact and it's pretty damn cool he's reefing at his age!!. I also don't think sending Pm's would be helpful. Partially why I still reply to his posts is to make sure his advice has a counter voice when it's not good advice. I also post to help him be a better, more informed reef keeper. Now if he sent me a PM asking a Q then obviously I would reply in like.

Back