Our mission

40 Breeder Build

Hey guys, I'm embarking on yet another tank build ( first one on this form) And I hope you guys can tag along and help me with the build. I'm trying to go back to basics as far as filtration, lighting, flow etc. Here are the current/future specs;
-40 gallon breeder (de-rimmed/ euro braced)
-Custom stand (from @bee505)
-Glass Holes 700gph overflow kit
- 1/2in dual loc line returns
- 30 gallon sump
-Bubble Magus Curve 5 ( coming soon)
-Mag 7 (coming soon)
- Reefbreeder dimmable leds x2 (coming soon)
-Jebao rw-4 x2

Rock and sand are still up for debate, I'm thinking BRS pukani or Marco rock.
So far I've drilled the overflow and I've started the eurobrace. Let me know what you guys think!
Pics will be posted tomorrow

So this is a 40g breeder from petco that youve derimmed and will be eurobracing? Sounds cool I wanna see pics!

I like the pukani rock because its very easy to chizel out caves and modify your rock. The marco rock is a little dense and harder to chizel. Marco rock is more sustainable than pukani rock.

Ah I found a youtube subscriber lol Thats a toss up for me because I've taken a few ecology classes and sustainability it high on my list. I'll take some pictures of my progress now

Whoa this is an epic project. I LOVE the rimless look but I heard its unsafe to de-rim tanks larger than 20 gallon unless you do some extra bracing

Can you describe the Eurobracing process?

I did a half euro brace on my 62 gal shallow reef (5'x2'x10'') and by half I mean only the length of the aquarium. Making the brace isn't too difficult, I measured the inner dimensions of the tank and had strips of glass cut to the dimensions. They are 1.5'' thick which should be enough to support the tank to where it wont bow. I'll walk through the process a little bit more in an upcoming video.

Small hiccup, one of the braces was 1/16'' too long and I found this out AFTER I had already siliconed it in. I took the long piece to the shop to have the end shaved down a little bit because I really don't want to take it off the other piece. They shaved it down a little too much but its nothing I cant fill with silicone. It's just going to be a small blemish.

This is super cool! So for Eurobracing you just had the long strips of glass cut and then you siliconed them in place? How hard was it to get the rim off of the 40B? Definitely a cool way to make a $40 tank look high end!

Is that the 700 gph glass holes overflow? That's what I used on my 40B.

Yep, All I did was measure and silicone them together. de-rimming wasn't to difficult, I used a dremel to cut most of the stubborn edges and a razor to get under the silicone and just kinda ripped it off. The hardest part was actually getting all the silicone off, it took acetone and lots of elbow grease. This is my first full euro brace so thanks for the positive comments

First time using Sketch Up!

Going back to basics. I'm going to run filter socks, a skimmer, one or two reactors and thats about it. I've tried refugiums, turf scrubbers and bio pellets but they're all too much hassle at the moment. I do want to leave room in the sump just in case I want to add something down the road because I consider myself an equipment junkie and I'm never satisfied haha. Feed back on the sump would be appreciated.

Back