Neptune Aquatics

75g Reef Tank - Progress (From Planning to Start-Up)

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to report that I am making SLOW and DELIBERATE progress on my 75g tank build. Since my last post, I have set up my Aqua Illuminations Blue SOL LED modules, got my live rock and sand in place and aquascaped and everything "under the hood" is up and running. Now to get the water ideal for the first fish. I would attach some photos, but I do not have them uploaded to the web anywhere.

Aquascaping is really fun and I got some INCREDIBLE live rock with all kinds of caves and interesting features. I also got some great smaller pieces for fragging later on. I also bought a couple of those mag rocks. They fall apart easy (pieces fall off them when you touch them). But I drilled holes in one and put it in the back of my tank out of the way to use as a frag rack. I did the same to a second one and put it in my refugium just in case it is needed later on.

All-in-all, this has been and continues to be a great project. I am learning plenty - chemistry, physics, biology...woodworking, electricity, plumbing...common sense (I hope) the list goes on.

Comments/Advice are welcomed.

Dennis

Hopefully this link will take you to photos...
reef

Photos

I did not use anything to secure rock yet. I did place it on the bare bottom and lock it in with the sand.

I bought some new coral glue on line after reading a blog. I haven't used it yet. Different people have different advice. I may glue things down before I add fish or coral. I am still unsure.

What do you think???

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/NewReef7503_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/NewReef7509.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/NewReef7511_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/NewReef7512_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/NewReef7515_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/NewReef7518_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/NewReef7520_0.jpg

Thanks, Mike. I will submerge the heater when I get home. I also added a bit more water to the refugium filter today. I had been so concerned with flooding that I did a controlled test and found that I have some room for more water and would still have enough capacity to support water in the sump if the power goes out.

I have a durso standpipe on order and that will quiet the down flow in the overflow chamber in the display. But what do people do to quiet the flow down in to the sump? Adding water today helped a bit as the drop to the water surface is lessened. I have heard adding a higher powered pump to keep the flow more constant might help. Thoughts? I am wondering what the sound would be like to submerge the flow in the sump - meaning add some PVC under the bulkhead on the sump to make the water flow emerge under water? That could just make for more bubbling noise.

Anyhow...thanks for the support, All, and for helping me out.

Nice job on the aquascaping and great looking tank.
You can also drill some small holes on the rock and connect them using small pvc pipes or hard plastic tubes from TAPPlastic.

Congratulations! Like Mike, I am also really worried about the heater being exposed to air. Glad you will submerge it today. You might want to zip tie the cords from your lights & the cords in the back of the sump. To quiet the water down to the sump, you might want to extend the drain tube down into the water. It's hard to see with the filter sock, but suspect you have a waterfall from the drain above the sump's water line.

If it were my tank I'd remove some of the rock. It looks quite full without much open & swimming space. Over time as the corals you put on the rocks grow, it'll bascially turn into a large wall. You have enough pieces to make either a tunnel/ arch type structure, or a pillar or two with open area in the middle. The open area gives it more depth front to back. I'm not saying it's bad or wrong, just my opinion & $.02. Good luck with it and have fun!

Thanks for the feedback and advice, All. My scape is not glued in...so trimming the rock or rearranging is an option. My tank is two feet deep so I think there is more open space than the photos convey. Nonetheless...my tank will evolve I'm sure. Thanks again.

I did a major rearrangement of my aquascape last night. I took some rock out of the display - not quite a third, but maybe a 4th. I threw a few smaller pieces down in the refugium. I definitely stirred things up in the process and was up until 1:30 trying to get it just right...not sure I did. But I will refine as needed. I'll attach some photos when I can.

p.s. I also lobbed a big rock on the bare toe. Lesson learned.

p.s.s. You have to hold your mouth just right when you do this. I swear I grit my teeth through it all...didn't want to bang the acrylic or make the whole thing come tumbling down.

Back