Cali Kid Corals

A funeral caravan

Today I had to go south, a little drive south.
Took 280 and as soon as I merged, noticed cars behind me with the orange funeral sticker so I was aware that the hearse would be in front, somewhere...
It is normal to see a long line of cars, flashing lights and to show some courtesy which I do but those people (some) have absolutely no common sense nor respect for other motorists; using three lanes, cutting in front, one sticking half his body out the window at freeway speed...
I knew they would be headed to Colma at least so thinking ahead and to avoid any issues I signal my lane change so I can merge left; this idiot starts honking like it's his lane as in "belongs to me"; on the rear view mirror I still see the caravan hugging most of the lanes, lane splitting, switching lanes, cutting other drivers WTF is wrong with those people; it was a funeral procession, not a side show !!!
And yes, the hearse was ahead, waaaaaaay ahead of that caravan of _____ and yes, those behind the hearse were driving decently, flashers on and keeping a safe distance, single lane.
101 Northbound was shut down south of SJ, flooded badly. My option was to drive to Monterey and take Hwy. 1
I know the road, long way from home but it was also closed at some point due to flooding. I followed the GPS; what a beautiful scenery the back roads are; raging creeks thinking they are old rivers, reservoirs full, a kid playing in the mud!! about 10 wild turkeys on a hillside, a sky that poured and stopped to let some sun in and light a rainbow or two...
Came home via Almaden expressway, 85, 280.

They do technically own the lane. (assuming procession was properly marked and organized)
Of course, that does not excuse the other nonsense.

From CA.gov:
"Do not block or hinder a funeral procession. Vehicles taking part in a funeral procession have the right-of-way, and if you interfere, obstruct, or interrupt the funeral procession, you are subject to a citation (CVC §2817). A funeral procession is led by a traffic officer. All vehicles taking part in the procession have windshield markers to identify them and have their headlights on."

They do technically own the lane. (assuming procession was properly marked and organized)
Of course, that does not excuse the other nonsense.

From CA.gov:
"Do not block or hinder a funeral procession. Vehicles taking part in a funeral procession have the right-of-way, and if you interfere, obstruct, or interrupt the funeral procession, you are subject to a citation (CVC §2817). A funeral procession is led by a traffic officer. All vehicles taking part in the procession have windshield markers to identify them and have their headlights on."
It sounded like some of them were just screwing around though.

Back