got ethical husbandry?

Acro PE before lights on

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
New to acros but I’m noticing their polyps are extended more in the morning before the lights come on. Especially the top ones - at the end of their “tubes”. Is that a thing?

Normal and it vary between coral on couple factors like captive raised or wild.
In the wild coral eat during the night because less predators are around. But some especially who is captive propagated, they can get used to having PE during the day.
I have both in my tank. Some fluffy during night and some fluffy during day...well amd some fluffy 24/7 like my shag priority.
I think PE is healthy sign in general. When they do so. Is kinda up to the coral..

Echoing what Omar said: I get good PE during the day on both my miyagi and shawn bennett torts. My shawn bennett stays roughly the same at night; my miyagi extends significantly more at night.

New to acros but I’m noticing their polyps are extended more in the morning before the lights come on. Especially the top ones - at the end of their “tubes”. Is that a thing?

Yes, they extend their feeding tentacles at night which are longer and more sweeping than their daytime polyps. Daytime polyps are photosynthetic, which helps feed the zooxanthella and thus feeds the coral. Night time, corals are in predatory mode and catch food.

Yes, they extend their feeding tentacles at night which are longer and more sweeping than their daytime polyps. Daytime polyps are photosynthetic, which helps feed the zooxanthella and thus feeds the coral. Night time, corals are in predatory mode and catch food.

Thanks, I thought it was something along those lines.

Now my question is I have many sps but 2 millies a palmers blue and a crt dragon king. They have recently started to have less polyp extention when they were fuzzy before yet my maricultured millies are fuzzy. What causes this? I had my second palmer frag rtn yesterday . My alk hasn't been 100 consistent but hasn't changed from 7.5-8.5 but I don't know if that would do it?

I test my phos shows 0 and nitrate .02. I feed heavy and everything else extends and does fine. LPS zoa except those 2 millies. Any thoughts

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That makes so much sense. I wonder if it would be best to dose nitrate before lights go out so there’s more available in the water at night? Or do the same with aminos maybe?

Now my question is I have many sps but 2 millies a palmers blue and a crt dragon king. They have recently started to have less polyp extention when they were fuzzy before yet my maricultured millies are fuzzy. What causes this? I had my second palmer frag rtn yesterday . My alk hasn't been 100 consistent but hasn't changed from 7.5-8.5 but I don't know if that would do it?

I test my phos shows 0 and nitrate .02. I feed heavy and everything else extends and does fine. LPS zoa except those 2 millies. Any thoughts

I know acros get lots of attention with regard to difficulty, but millies are just as hard, and some, harder than acros.

How often does your Alk swing, and are swings as large as 1dKH?

That makes so much sense. I wonder if it would be best to dose nitrate before lights go out so there’s more available in the water at night? Or do the same with aminos maybe?
For Aminos-- corals take those in through absorption, and their absorption is supposed to be higher at peak lighting, so dose Aminos and AB+ at around high light and peak pH.

If you feed things like Oyster Feast and a powdered reef food, do it an hour before lights on.

That's at least what I do.

I know acros get lots of attention with regard to difficulty, but millies are just as hard, and some, harder than acros.

How often does your Alk swing, and are swings as large as 1dKH?
My alk will swing is .5 over a day when I had to up my alk due to it being low. But never more then .5. How is the ab+ I've been thinking of using it

My alk will swing is .5 over a day when I had to up my alk due to it being low. But never more then .5. How is the ab+ I've been thinking of using it

AB+ is pretty good- I’ve been using A+B and switched to better results, I think. I do dose this with 3/4 dose of Acropower. When I dosed either one or the other, I didn’t see much in terms of growth, but together, think they’re outstanding

maybe others can comment, but (for my tank) I would think .5 dKH swing would be big. I remember reading that .4 was about the max you’d want to raise or lower alk in a day’s time, but that was adjustment related.

Do you auto dose or manual?
have you recently measured your daily uptake? Maybe it’s time to readjust?
Maybe break up your doses into smaller and more frequent doses?

it’s all about stability, not necessarily the numbers

maybe others can comment, but (for my tank) I would think .5 dKH swing would be big. I remember reading that .4 was about the max you’d want to raise or lower alk in a day’s time, but that was adjustment related.

Do you auto dose or manual?
have you recently measured your daily uptake? Maybe it’s time to readjust?
Maybe break up your doses into smaller and more frequent doses?

it’s all about stability, not necessarily the numbers
I've always read 1dkh per day as tolerable swing... less is better of course.

inexplicably, my palmer's also struck out... after about 2 -3 weeks in the system. My best guess is the intake of the piece into my tank gave it enough of an alk swing. I use to run my tank at 9.8... but not dropped it to 8.8.

Even though I did the drop slowly by letting the system settle on it's own, I've lost some key pieces in the process.. most are millis -- not surprised though, they're probably most sensitive of the bunch

inexplicably, my palmer's also struck out... after about 2 -3 weeks in the system. My best guess is the intake of the piece into my tank gave it enough of an alk swing. I use to run my tank at 9.8... but not dropped it to 8.8.

Even though I did the drop slowly by letting the system settle on it's own, I've lost some key pieces in the process.. most are millis -- not surprised though, they're probably most sensitive of the bunch
Definitely tolerable as a rare occurrence, but wonder what effect consistent swings in the .5 +range have on them.

every now and again, I get as high as a .32 swing, but I manually test to confirm, then wait until next reading to determine how much I need to adjust.

Definitely tolerable as a rare occurrence, but wonder what effect consistent swings in the .5 +range have on them.

every now and again, I get as high as a .32 swing, but I manually test to confirm, then wait until next reading to determine how much I need to adjust.
crazy thing is that i used to manually dose with just the sea lab no 28 cubes , and throwing a tablespoon of baking soda into my overflow every night before bed.

My alk would fluctuate between 9.8 and 10.2 over a 24 hours period. and in some ways mimic variances in the ocean... Got the best growth and results... now that I run Trident and DOS, it's been nothing but pain during the learning curve...

technically, we're suppose to only compare alk measurements within the same time window each day... so by that definition, it's a stable system since my alk is always the same at that moment in the day. hah. :)

crazy thing is that i used to manually dose with just the sea lab no 28 cubes , and throwing a tablespoon of baking soda into my overflow every night before bed.

My alk would fluctuate between 9.8 and 10.2 over a 24 hours period. and in some ways mimic variances in the ocean... Got the best growth and results... now that I run Trident and DOS, it's been nothing but pain during the learning curve...

technically, we're suppose to only compare alk measurements within the same time window each day... so by that definition, it's a stable system since my alk is always the same at that moment in the day. hah. :)
I know! In my first tank, I just threw in 20ml of alk and cal every morning and night. Figured it was good enough and never tested more than weekly! Every last thing in that old tank grew!

now I obsess over is Trident right? Do I manually take over? Madness!

Many millis especially wild ones will not tolerate 1dhk swing. Thats my experience

Back