Jestersix

Adding an overflow to a tiny AquaMaxx 2.6 gallon?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I have a spare AquaMaxx 2.6 gallon that I used to have a betta fish in. Beautiful tank, low-iron glass, perfect silicon, beveled glass.

36554445152_0ec98340e9_h.jpg

Here's the specs:
5mm Low-iron glass
11.9"x7.1"x7.1"

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...0_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94552-FIAQNCNTUT-vi.html

I've always dreamed of keeping a pygmy angler (Antennatus tuberosus), and this might be perfect. Small tank, low flow from just the return, plumbed to my bigger Reefer 170's system.

I'm thinking of trying to add this overflow on the short side of the tank:
http://www.eshopps.com/products/overflowboxes/eclipse-s/

It's the smallest, nicest looking overflow I've found.

Is it crazy to try to drill such a small tank and add a 600gph rated overflow to it? I might only pump like 10gph through the tank haha. Any other options?

My #1 priority is it must look really sleek and clean.

I think you could drill it for a smaller bulkhead; I may have a couple tiny bulkheads; you’d need only the proper size hole saw for them. Once drilled, and oh yes, I have couple surface skimmers for AIO cubes that you could either silicone or use E6000 to attach it over the bulkhead and plumb it to the main system.

Do you want to keep only fish, no corals?
I think its easier to keep it isolated and use an aquaclear 30 HOB filter and a 12V dc pump as power head

My experience with eshopps overflows is that I would never buy one again. My experience is with the medium sized ones. The emergency pipe they give you on the overflow is lower than the bulkhead in the tank, which means it will always be making a sloshing sound since the bulkhead into tank never gets fully submerged. I cut my own emergency pipe, but the external part of the overflow box is not tall enough to handle the extra height of the water (to cover the bulkhead into tank) without generating a significant amount of salt creep outside the box.

I'd look into something like a modular marine nano overflow box. I think they look pretty sleek. Looks like they shut down for a month though.

Here's the nano sized one, not sure if they make an even smaller one though since their site is down.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODULAR-MA...MOVABLE-WEIR-/201999236547?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

My experience with eshopps overflows is that I would never buy one again. My experience is with the medium sized ones. The emergency pipe they give you on the overflow is lower than the bulkhead in the tank, which means it will always be making a sloshing sound since the bulkhead into tank never gets fully submerged. I cut my own emergency pipe, but the external part of the overflow box is not tall enough to handle the extra height of the water (to cover the bulkhead into tank) without generating a significant amount of salt creep outside the box.

I'd look into something like a modular marine nano overflow box. I think they look pretty sleek. Looks like they shut down for a month though.

Here's the nano sized one, not sure if they make an even smaller one though since their site is down.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODULAR-MA...MOVABLE-WEIR-/201999236547?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Looks like they make a 400gph OF box:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MODULAR-MARI...MOVABLE-WEIR-/192477455160?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

I once drilled a small hole for overflow on a 10g rimless tank, and over tighten the bulkhead, glass cracked. So just be careful when you apply the pressure on the bulkheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My experience with eshopps overflows is that I would never buy one again
I 100% agree, I have a 30g long that I installed the med size version in, and it's terrible. The design makes it very difficult to run quietly, and the acrylic is starting to warp more than I'd like.

I think you could drill it for a smaller bulkhead; I may have a couple tiny bulkheads; you’d need only the proper size hole saw for them. Once drilled, and oh yes, I have couple surface skimmers for AIO cubes that you could either silicone or use E6000 to attach it over the bulkhead and plumb it to the main system.

Would I not have an overflow box in this case, just a surface skimmer that goes into the bulkhead and straight into the sump?

Do you want to keep only fish, no corals?
I think its easier to keep it isolated and use an aquaclear 30 HOB filter and a 12V dc pump as power head

No HOB filters. I understand that would work fine, but I already have an oversized sump system for my current tank, so I'd like a clean way to just plumb it there. Then I have a ton of options of what I would do.

Very interesting. I've seen some videos on Youtube with people who have it. It seems like they're very quiet, and the overflow box actually has a pretty high water level inside of it. Do you think it has to do with the amount of flow going through it? It's a Herbie system right, so you could adjust the water level inside the OF box?

Those modular marine ones look really nice, the nano would would probably be a much better fit for the tank.

Where do you think your gonna find trhe angler? from what i foudn online it seems to be pretty rare

http://www.zoacollector.com/ has them from time to time. I've talked to him before and he's let me know when they're available. I think he'll get some every month or so. Last ones he got were a trio, but I didn't have anything ready for them.

I'm also not against getting some other really tiny fish either. Not sure if something like a fumanchu lion would like such a small tank, but that could be cool. I just think a tiny display with a pygmy angler that can handle a lot of bioload may be perfect.

I once drilled a small hole for overflow on a 10g rimless tank, and over tighten the bulkhead, glass cracked. So just be careful when you apply the pressure on the bulkheads.

Yes! Good call. I've heard a lot of thinner glass cracking because of overtightened bulkheads. I'll have to be very careful. I used to work on cars a lot, and have a tendency to "hand tighten" things quite a bit.

I have some small bulkheads and couple spare JBJ Skimmers you are welcome to.
Once done with my build I’ll be re-homing/recycling lots of things

I have some small bulkheads and couple spare JBJ Skimmers you are welcome to.
Once done with my build I’ll be re-homing/recycling lots of things

Thank you so much!

Do you think just one bulkhead with a surface skimmer will be noisy? Or will it be fine since it's under the waterline? Should I make a second emergency drain just in case?

Very interesting. I've seen some videos on Youtube with people who have it. It seems like they're very quiet, and the overflow box actually has a pretty high water level inside of it. Do you think it has to do with the amount of flow going through it? It's a Herbie system right, so you could adjust the water level inside the OF box?

Those modular marine ones look really nice, the nano would would probably be a much better fit for the tank.

I can make it virtually silent after I made the emergency standpipe long enough so the bulkhead in the tank can be completely submerged, but then I get a crazy amount of salt creep because the water level is so close to the top edge of the overflow box. The design is just not good in my opinion. They either needed to make the bulkhead placement lower in the external OF box or make the external OF box taller.

Thank you so much!

Do you think just one bulkhead with a surface skimmer will be noisy? Or will it be fine since it's under the waterline? Should I make a second emergency drain just in case?

I think one would be enough for such a small tank; the risk of drilling two holes, is a potential crack due to stress? on the glass. IMO it can be silent with one drain; Tee on the back and a cap on top with a tiny hole drilled and the regular pipe going down to the sump.

I think one would be enough for such a small tank; the risk of drilling two holes, is a potential crack due to stress? on the glass. IMO it can be silent with one drain; Tee on the back and a cap on top with a tiny hole drilled and the regular pipe going down to the sump.

Is the tiny hole just for quieting it down? Does it need to be above the waterline?

Back