Our mission

Algae! Help!

I have this grape-type of algae on one side of my tank that's just pissing me off. I have to pull some out every few days because it's intruding on my zoos. Does anyone know how to rid them out of the tank? I've added some scarlet hermits hoping they'd help.

I concur.. looks like a grape caulerpa, I'd just yank that stuff asap, because it will grow over everything. And you'll probably be yanking for a long time since they tend to get little pieces stuck and regrow.

yes, caulerpa peltata iirc, not too much eats caulerpa as the caulerpin makes it unpalatable for most fish. Unfortunately only the larger tangs seem to eat it (nasos et al.). I might try a foxface or rabbitfish.

I have the same problem, but just yesterday I found out a friend of my wifes has a FOWLR tank and he says it consumes all sorts of algae. While that doesn't really help my tank, I at least know that as I pull the eveil caulerpa from my tank, it will go to feed someone elses fish... He claims his tank inhabitants eat chaeto as well.

You can also try shading the stubborn caulerpa spots so that they get no light...

V

Back