Reef nutrition

Amazing Hippo tang video

I have never seen the fish from ocean to our tanks and its really interesting to see how they catch it and how its passed from person to person until we get it

The dynamiting portion was sad. I was hopeful to watch how they raise the blue tangs from fry to juveniles, and pass them to us. Hopefully it’s a practice that can grow.

Also, the idea of an inexpensive trace cyanide tester seems like a great idea. I wonder if one exists already or how hard it would be to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dynamiting portion was sad. I was hopeful to watch how they raise the blue tangs from fry to juveniles, and pass them to us. Hopefully it’s a practice that can grow.

Also, the idea of an inexpensive trace cyanide tester seems like a great idea. I wonder if one exists already or how hard it would be to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past (Rubec's test) part of the problem is you're not testing for cyanide but rather what it breaks down into. False positives are an issue as there are other sources of the what is being tested for. Its also gone in a couple weeks, so field collection can hold it till the trace is mathematically gone. If you want to know more, google Dr Peter Rubec or Dr Andrew Rhyne. Dr Rubec, along with IMA, developed a cyanide test years ago that PI actually had in place, but, the exporters were allowed to pick and choose what they submitted for testing, so they chose non target species or ones they knew were net collected. Years ago I had reams of the certificates from imports. A vast majority were non target species.

Here's a couple links

https://reefs.com/2017/05/12/guaranteed-cyanide-free-fish/

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1011370106291

Reactions: JVU
Share it
The more people know how the fish are handled the more awareness we can bring to those areas, the fishermen need to know the fish are more valuable when the reef is kept and a blown up reef equals little to no money

i love the larvae project and we are breeding them now

Share it
The more people know how the fish are handled the more awareness we can bring to those areas, the fishermen need to know the fish are more valuable when the reef is kept and a blown up reef equals little to no money

i love the larvae project and we are breeding them now

I spent a better part of 20 years on the net collection subject, and just as long with supporting MO breeders. What it really boils down to now is industry pushing for it. The exporters know full well its cheaper and more sustainable to use nets then drugs or destructive techniques. In most cases, they or the middlemen are the CN suppliers, divers aren't just stumbling onto it themselves. Clean your own house or someone else will has been my mantra for years.

I spent a better part of 20 years on the net collection subject, and just as long with supporting MO breeders. What it really boils down to now is industry pushing for it. The exporters know full well its cheaper and more sustainable to use nets then drugs or destructive techniques. In most cases, they or the middlemen are the CN suppliers, divers aren't just stumbling onto it themselves. Clean your own house or someone else will has been my mantra for years.

BAR should have you do a talk on that and your industry experiences!

Thats sad
but we do see the industry changing we don’t see as many animals caught using cyanide and almost everything is being bred from tangs to angels
Personally i feel its awareness that contributes to this

I would very interested in hearing you speak of your experiences

Back