High Tide Aquatics

Amazon Prime Day....BRS Primed for Savings Sale

If you're looking to buy something on Amazon, check some of the price checker websites to see if it's really a good sale. Amazon has been caught raising prices prior to prime day.

$20 item
Raised to $25 then "on sale" for $18 to inflate sale percentage figures.

camelcamelcamel.com is a good place to look to see the history of a price on an item. That said, I hate Prime day with a passion, it's literally a matter of tens of thousands of things that on "featured" and "on sale" and a really shitty interface to try to get through the noise of crap you don't want. Think last year I managed to filter down through to everything except perhaps brand name, and there still was like 2000 items. Seriously if you don't know exactly what you want, stay away.

camelcamelcamel.com is a good place to look to see the history of a price on an item. That said, I hate Prime day with a passion, it's literally a matter of tens of thousands of things that on "featured" and "on sale" and a really shitty interface to try to get through the noise of crap you don't want. Think last year I managed to filter down through to everything except perhaps brand name, and there still was like 2000 items. Seriously if you don't know exactly what you want, stay away.

Right, unless you happen to find something you might want, it's hard to browse. Best to just search for things you need to see if it's included. I've never found anything I wanted to be a deal before.

Right, unless you happen to find something you might want, it's hard to browse. Best to just search for things you need to see if it's included. I've never found anything I wanted to be a deal before.
I've found aquarium products on Amazon are really not very ... available, at least for any sort of discount. I did get a nice DC return pump (not Jebao or similar) from their warehouse deals because the box had a tiny dent in it maybe 1/4" deep, but other than that not so much. But like you said, you need to know what you want when you look there. Unfortunately most of the stuff I want is MAP locked, so there's no purpose in shopping on Amazon.

Region locked? Like for blu-rays?

You can get a free trial Prime account on Amazon.co.uk, jp, fr, ca etc.

Uk is good for 3D blu-rays including region B.
MAP is Minimum Advertised Pricing. Things like ecotech equipment, kessils, etc are limited on how cheap they can be sold. The only sales discounts are determined by the manufactures.

This is why there are so many canceled orders from the Drfostersmith.com sale.

MAP is Minimum Advertised Pricing. Things like ecotech equipment, kessils, etc are limited on how cheap they can be sold. The only sales discounts are determined by the manufactures.
Yup, MAP policies are very prevalent in this hobby, I'll withhold my rant on this :D, and it's almost every major manufacturer out there that makes stuff, save the really low end market.

Region locked movies? Is that still a thing? I know I bought my wife the Harry Potter Blu_ray UK versions of it (so it's the Philosopher's Stone, not the Sorcerer's Stone) because they were almost half the cost of the US versions but they seem to work just fine in our BR player.

I think region locking is slowly dieing. Digital content isnt region locked so there is no point is doing it with physical goods anymore.

Games used to be region locked, even some digital titles but that has completely gone away in the Microsoft economy for gaming. I don't know about Sony or steam.

Back