High Tide Aquatics

Another UV thread

Hello,

Since there where couple separate UV-related discussions recently I would like to ask for recommendation(s) for my small tank. I have 43gal system with quite a limited space in the sump and around and trying to squeeze a UV in that already tight space. I used Aquatop 13W submersible filter and my tank was never so clean before or after but it so loud and big that I decided to disconnect it for comfort. Recommended flow around 400 GPH thats definitely too much for my small tank. I'm pretty handy and could go DIY way and make smaller inline or even submersible body but still need another pump - my main circulation is Eheim 4000 that's 1000GPH - and take 300-400 through manifold is too much imho.
Any other ideas? Smaller UV ( I kinda doubt in it's effectiveness)?

Regards,
Eugene

I'd just buy a cheap small pump and use it only for the UV, separate from your return pump/manifold.
That's look like an option - but 400GPH in the sump will be a hurricane imho. Also will have to make/get some inline UV that brings a question - how big/powerful inline do I need?

Grab a 15w aqua UV HOB unit with a small sicce pump like the Sicce .5. Almost no footprint and just hangs on your sump.
sounds like a way to go - I might even go DIY route - get my existing UV bulb with quartz sleeve, put into PVC pipe housing and connect to sicce pump.

Last edited:
Hmm - according to aqua UV specs it needs way more flow:

Salt Water Sterilizer: up to 75 gallons; Flowrate - 233gph for 90,000 µw/cm2

Looks like an overkill for 40 gal, isn't it?

Depends. What are you trying to accomplish and do you take their info at face value?
I have quite a lot of green algae on the glass - grows fast and hard to clean. I'm not taking their info as is - just thinking maybe it's way too much flow/uv, especially considering space or better say lack of it in the sump. And even than the only unit I can fit there is something submersible.

You can go slower and it can only help as long as you're getting enough turnover. That's the unit I would use on a 75 gallon for sure especially since it's easy to just hang it on the sump.

Aqua UV recommendation is between 35k-40k for Reef tanks. It kills the plankton I guess? 75k-90k for marine only.

The coralife 3x can do 55 gph. But max out at around 50k. According to their chart. If you need to kill or eradicate any parasite issues, you probably need to double those up.

I honestly can’t imagine a hobbyist tank overdoing it with uv. What would you be worried about with too much power?
I'm taking it with grain of salt (from aquaultraviolet.com):
Reef Tanks -A UV rated in the 30,000-45,000 columns is ideal for the reef environment .UV’s rated at higher kill rates will destroy the planktonic food supply for the reef.

I can only return water to the sump so the return rate will be less and UV exposure will be longer. It's not recommended but I don't see how I can use it other way.

Aqua UV recommendation is between 35k-40k for Reef tanks. It kills the plankton I guess? 75k-90k for marine only.

The coralife 3x can do 55 gph. But max out at around 50k. According to their chart. If you need to kill or eradicate any parasite issues, you probably need to double those up.
So I don’t really get what “plankton” they are worried about? They don’t make it clear.
Zooplankton? I still got plenty of pods...
Phytoplankton? I don’t add any...do our tanks generate a bunch of phyto on their own?

I'm taking it with grain of salt (from aquaultraviolet.com):
Reef Tanks -A UV rated in the 30,000-45,000 columns is ideal for the reef environment .UV’s rated at higher kill rates will destroy the planktonic food supply for the reef

I can only return water to the sump so the return rate will be less and UV exposure will be longer. It's not recommended but I don't see how I can use it other way.
I don’t understand your issue with the flow rate. Why can’t you push through a uv then up into the tank?

Last edited:
So I don’t really get what “plankton” they are worried about? They don’t make it clear.
Zooplankton? I still got plenty of pods...
Phytoplankton? I don’t add any...do our tanks generate a bunch of phyto on their own?
It's unclear to me too - that's why I ask for opinion ;) According to their chart even 8W would be enough for algae in the long term

See this thread starting around post #28.

Back