Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Nov. 15

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Nov. 22

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Nov. 29 (Thanksgiving weekend)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
I am all for it! If the weather permits we could even do an LFS parking lot if they are ok with it.

Not sure about you... but having people in my parking lot swapping stuff I sell doesn't make me jump for joy so to speak ;)

And yes, I am well aware BARE did it at Tropical Paradise, BAR did it there as well, NORCAL Reefers did it at Neptunes and Aquatic Collection... but yeah :D

i agree with mike, not sure what 'mini' means
Exactly what Mark is referring to. :)

I think we can find a proper venue or location if there's enough interest... just gauging if enough are interested to make it official and folks are committed to participating. Otherwise, we can just hold off until some other time. We wouldn't want to hold an event with 20 RSVPing and then only 5 show up. We're pretty strapped on manpower as it is so let's keep that in mind. :)

Hmmm, well if it's like what Mark says where you simply swap one coral for another, and there's no actual meeting, then I'm out 100%. I'm guessing I'm a but far away from wherever the proposed spot probably will be to be worth my time & money.

Now if I wanted to make a special trip to a LFS in the area (since the peninsula is pretty much a wasteland these days) then I would swing by, but not knowing if I will want to on a particular Saturday in November is not something I can commit to. Now if you get a "swap special discount" from a LFS if you hold it in their parking lot (15% off livestock, or whatever) that could sweeten the deal.

Yes, part of a general club meeting was the proposed intent.
One frag does not really seem worth the effort for a standalone event.

In my mind, it would enhance a simple club meeting.
Meaning:
It is not always easy/affordable to get a big name speaker.
So maybe normal meeting is a small local presenter, or a BBQ/potluck.
To make it more interesting and get more people, you add a mini-swap
to sweeten the deal.

Interesting idea about the LFS discount.

Additional idea: It could possibly be used to raise money.
:)
Not everybody has frags, but many have a lot more than one.
Members could randomly donate a frag, and others could "buy in" to the swap,
say for $5 or so. The money going to the club.
(Probably not good to combine that with LFS ideas)

PS: Yes, I am interested.

ULTERIOR MOTIVE:
Sadly, the DBTC plan seems to have dwindled off. If the mini-swap becomes
a standard thing at all meanings, it might do much of the same thing.

So true hardly any LFS here anymore. Have to go across the bay or down SJ/Fremont for a good LFS that has lots of coral/fish.
So move to the South/East Bay. ;)
I have 4 good fish stores within a short drive. (1 is mostly fish only)
Plus a Petco really close, which oddly seems to have the best frozen food selection.

I have 4 good fish stores within a short drive. (1 is mostly fish only)

So do I if you define close as within 150 miles RT! :D

Another club I'm in has a swap/raffle at every meet. Members bring in frags (or not) and the club buys some. Since we do barter tickets for $$ ( we would never sell tickets ;) ), the club breaks even. Everyone goes home with something.

We meet at homes and an LFS. The LFS gets some of our business and there is a club discount.

As we swing to cold weather the venue is more critical. Other possibilities are banquet or party rooms in food establishments. I know Round Table Pizza has been available in several locations around the bay. Buy a few pizzas and they are happy to host a bunch of weirdos that bring in coolers. :cool:

another option is to reach out to sponsors or potential sponsors and see if they'll sponsor the $300 room, or help sponsor it.

I need to get myself up to a WCR event one of these days.

In the past, several members offered up venues they had connections to... try putting out the call, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Many reef clubs I visit around the US have ongoing mini swaps at meetings... most of them in fact.

... Many reef clubs I visit around the US have ongoing mini swaps at meetings... most of them in fact.
Details? We could do the same.
Informal ones, where friends are simply trading?
Or more organized with a table, entrants, and some sort of sequence?

Just putting this out there...

I went with friend to a baps (freshwater forum?) Auction / event / meeting w/ guest speaker held in a very large back room at Harrys hofbrau. It's a nice restaurant with a amazing craft beer selection. So great food, great beer, and large private room.

I personally would love to go to a mini swap, but working j retail especially around holidays means an unpredictable schedule so i wouldn't be able to commit to a date unfortunately.

Back