Our mission

Anyone ever do a hex tank reef?

I'm thinking of being an indian giver and snagging back that hex tank my cousin said he wanted since he hasn't done anything with it (and probably wont), but this thing was tall, so I'm curious what sort of flow issues you would have in something like that, power heads seem to be out as they'd look funny. I would drill it for an overflow, but drill for a closed loop too?

Any ideas would be helpful.

The wife had a 5 gallon hex nano. I wasn't all that crazy about it. Cramped awkward shape.

I put a tall piece of live rock in the middle, and stuck in a few pieces of branch rock. Put in a minijet power head also. It was ok.

Wouldn't a tall tank be good for macroalgae and seahorses? Less flow is better for them, no?

I have done several 55 gallon hex tanks. They look great. One was with a overflow return in the center of the tank and it is in the middle of an office viewable from all sides. The other was in a corner with an overflow return hanging of the back. Both have an additional powerhead in the tank for good water movement.

eggle55_after2_lg.jpg

eggle55_after1_lg.jpg

Back