Neptune Aquatics

Anyone frag dendrophyllia before?

I would like to cut the left polyp for DBTC. Anyone offer any experience fragging this animal? Got it from CL. It is growing on the tips of a fine branching type coral skeleton similar to birdsnest.

Thanks

We fraged one of these at a swap (different club) a long time ago. It was fairly simple, just cutting a head as close to the base as possible, someone even ended up with stump and it ended up growing a bunch of new heads...

You are saying cut it across the head right where it 'sprouts' from the base? My plan was to cut the colony into two from mouth to base between the left and center polyps. I like the first option better if the frag grows out from there.

[quote author=yardartist link=topic=6989.msg90921#msg90921 date=1237648572]
You are saying cut it across the head right where it 'sprouts' from the base? My plan was to cut the colony into two from mouth to base between the left and center polyps. I like the first option better if the frag grows out from there.

[/quote]

it diffently did in the case of the one we fragged

i frag so it leaves a stump as a new head forms from the stump. i haven't tried cutting near the base. i might give that a try to see if new heads form.

Might be too late, but you can try a light iodine dip.

I like to dip LPS right after fragging. I figure it should help to prevent infection.

Use enough iodine to get a light beer color.

Dip for about 15 minutes.

Use a turkey baster to gently wash off dead tissue.

Thanks Norman. I will do that next time for sure. So far the frag is opening at night and closing in the morning. On the plus side the Rainford Goby is fat from cleaning up the mess.

Back