Jestersix

Anyone get Masonite cut at HD or Lowes? Or ... how to bring 4x8 sheet goods home.

Hi guys, I'm building a new workbench for my shop and want to use masonite/hardboard as the final top (so once I screw it up, I can replace it). I went to Lowes and asked them to cut it, but they didn't cut masonite because their (extremely crappy) blade on their panel saw splinters and destroys masonite. I say the blade sucks because I asked the guy to cut a few sheets of plywood for me and the tearout was brutal when cross cutting.

Now the thing is that I know I must have gotten masonite cut somewhere before, because my current old workbench (which doesn't have space to mount a woodworking vice, hence the new bench) has a masonite top. And the reason I have to get it cut at the store is because even with a minivan I can't fit an 4x8 sheet in the back. I can't remember where I got the old masonite!

Alternatively, I can bring a handsaw or a jigsaw, but I don't have a battery powered saw so I'd have to hook my jigsaw to an inverter in the van (bah!) But that leads to crappy cuts too.

Any ideas?

V

HD won't guarantee their cuts under 1/8" IIRC. It may even be greater then that. Worst place to get lumber cut :(

Yup, HD sucks. Go to a lumber yard. When I built my stand I had ashby lumber cut my wood. Everything came out perfect.

I ended up going to HD, their panel saw cuts masonite just fine. Too bad their employees are stupid.

I asked for for a cut of six and a half feet so that I could account for a bad cut and do a precision cut at home. Too bad the employees don't know the difference between 6 feet and 5 feet |( and I didn't notice until I lay the board on my 6 foot workbench top. Dag nabbit!

V

I had that issue at Lowe's. It took the dude there 3 cut to get me some vinyl tubing cut to the right length ... and he even had a tape measurer!

Vincerama2 said:
I ended up going to HD, their panel saw cuts masonite just fine. Too bad their employees are stupid.

I asked for for a cut of six and a half feet so that I could account for a bad cut and do a precision cut at home. Too bad the employees don't know the difference between 6 feet and 5 feet |( and I didn't notice until I lay the board on my 6 foot workbench top. Dag nabbit!

V
Hate to say it but we all told you so.

No, you LOVE to say it! :p

This is kinda funny too. So I bring the sheet to the saw, after asking some guy if they would/could cut it. I'm behind another lady. The employee comes buy pushing a cart with a 4x8 plywood sheet on it, the woman he's pushing it for is a total hottie. Although this other woman and I are just standing around waiting to get our stuff cut, he pushes our carts out of the way and proceeds to cut the hottie's sheet. Then after seeing her off, he gets around to cutting/butchering our wood. But then again, what do you expect from an HD employee?

I briefly wonder if I should bring back the cut masonite and demand a new cut sheet. But they have no way of knowing that I didn't take it home and screw it up myself. Not sure if it's worth the effort of bringing the pieces back, but then again, why should I pay for something that the HD employee F'ed up!?

Sort of sucks when your wife gives you the afternoon free (by taking the kids to the SJ Children's Discovery Museum) and you have to stop working on your project because someone screwed up a cut and then you don't even have the mini-van to get a new piece...grrr!

I'll bring a tape measure next time and double check. Dang, I wish I the van were just a touch longer and a touch taller!

V

Yup, they do. Once you pay for it and walk out that door, it's your's. It doesn't matter if the employee screwed up or not.

Heh, I bought a new piece, I didn't have the time to argue over it (I have very limited "go to Home Depot" time. It's like "The kids are napping, you have 30 minutes to go get your stupid masonite").

I brought a tape measure this time!

Oh, and I had to go and get a new piece of 2x6 so I went there and after asking 2 different "associates" to call for a lumber guy, I gave up after 10 minutes of wandering the aisles and spoke to a cashier. She paged "Any lumber personal, pick up" some large Asian dude comes out of a backroom with a faceful of hotdog and asks what's up, she tell him...he doesn't help me, instead he walks out to the catering stand and says stuff to someone. Some older bald guy comes in and starts stomping towards the saw. I ask him "Are you the saw guy?" no answer. OK, maybe he didn't hear me. "You can cu the wood, right?" still no answer. Am I not speaking clearly? Surely he's not IGNORING ME?! One more time "I just need 2 cuts" now he says out loud, but to no-one in particular "Godd*mn lazy f*ing ... something something". He gets to the cart, tosses the wood on the saw bed "WHAT DO YOU NEED?!" uh, two 4 feet pieces please. He cuts one then says "TAKE IT!" so I do and he cuts the other piece.

I'm stunned. What a complete A*hole. If I had more time I was going to go talk to the manager. What I figured happened was this. The entire lumber department somehow is on break at the same time. I'm guessing fat Asian guy is the manager and he spent a bit too much time on his hot dog, however since he's the boss, he'd rather send a lacky. Bald angry dude must have just started his break, even though I saw no-one in the lumber department for like 10 minutes of wandering. So he's in the middle of his lunch (it was actually 4:30 pm), and his manager tells him to go cut wood instead of just finishing his own lunch and doing it. So bald guy is po'ed that his boss is a lazy pos, so it's like I'm making him do HIS JOB and he is angry.

I ran out of time, but I think the manager at that HD will be hearing from me via a letter or email or something.

I wonder if the hottie would have got the same cold shoulder?

V

Mr. Ugly said:
Vincerama2 said:

I tried to help you Vince. But you wouldn't listen :D

As you can see by this entire thread, I'm very slow. Home Depot dulls my senses as I walk into the door.

Also If you're gonna talk to a hottie, there are better things to discuss other than returning masonite or getting
a 2x6 cut. Might make an interesting ice breaker though (for you single folk).

V

Tell her you need her help with some wood.

When you regain consciousness, the lumber cutter guy will feel sorry for you and give you free Masonite :D

Vincerama2 said:
Heh, I bought a new piece, I didn't have the time to argue over it (I have very limited "go to Home Depot" time. It's like "The kids are napping, you have 30 minutes to go get your stupid masonite").

I brought a tape measure this time!

Oh, and I had to go and get a new piece of 2x6 so I went there and after asking 2 different "associates" to call for a lumber guy, I gave up after 10 minutes of wandering the aisles and spoke to a cashier. She paged "Any lumber personal, pick up" some large Asian dude comes out of a backroom with a faceful of hotdog and asks what's up, she tell him...he doesn't help me, instead he walks out to the catering stand and says stuff to someone. Some older bald guy comes in and starts stomping towards the saw. I ask him "Are you the saw guy?" no answer. OK, maybe he didn't hear me. "You can cu the wood, right?" still no answer. Am I not speaking clearly? Surely he's not IGNORING ME?! One more time "I just need 2 cuts" now he says out loud, but to no-one in particular "Godd*mn lazy f*ing ... something something". He gets to the cart, tosses the wood on the saw bed "WHAT DO YOU NEED?!" uh, two 4 feet pieces please. He cuts one then says "TAKE IT!" so I do and he cuts the other piece.

I'm stunned. What a complete A*hole. If I had more time I was going to go talk to the manager. What I figured happened was this. The entire lumber department somehow is on break at the same time. I'm guessing fat Asian guy is the manager and he spent a bit too much time on his hot dog, however since he's the boss, he'd rather send a lacky. Bald angry dude must have just started his break, even though I saw no-one in the lumber department for like 10 minutes of wandering. So he's in the middle of his lunch (it was actually 4:30 pm), and his manager tells him to go cut wood instead of just finishing his own lunch and doing it. So bald guy is po'ed that his boss is a lazy pos, so it's like I'm making him do HIS JOB and he is angry.

I ran out of time, but I think the manager at that HD will be hearing from me via a letter or email or something.

V

I would email corporate as well as talk to the local manager. I've done that and the dude was given the boot. I had a very similar experience as you did but the guy started cussing me out for asking for assistance (which you have to do if you need anything cut with the electric saw). I just wanted some lumber cut and simple cuts at that..... Next day he was sent home packing with a pink slip. The manager called me back to let me know.

Back