Reef nutrition

Anyone run an ATO straight from RO/DI?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I'm wondering if anyone is setup with an RO/DI that feeds right into the sump / tank for an ATO?

It's a bit risky I know, but might be nice?

I'm thinking of using a float valve on a container near the tank that is replenished by my RO/DI, and then another ATO system that then tops off the actual tank. But the two possible failures can either mean a still endless amount of RO/DI water into the tank, or a small flood (or both).

Or I could just once in awhile open a valve to fill that first container near the tank, using the float valve as a temporary stop while I'm not watching, but not have it on 24/7.

But if there's some very low risk way to connect my RO/DI straight to the tank, that would be nice. Maybe a combination of float valves, optical sensors, and solenoids?

I think your second idea is the way to go. Manually fill the rodi container and run ato from there. You don't want rodi turning on for small periods frequently anyway. Not good for water quality

What Mike said, running your RODI in small intervals will run down your DI resin very quickly due to TDS creep in the RO filter. I make at least 20g RODI at a time and then use that to refill my 10g ATO container

Thank you guys! That's good to know. I have a 17 gallon container. I'll probably just let that run pretty dry and then turn on the RO/DI to fill it.

The tank I'm getting (Reefer 170) has a tiny reservoir that sits above the sump and feeds into it with a float valve. Might need an ATO for the ATO haha.

I have an Avast barrel tender that my RoDi is hooked up to. Low and high pressure sensors an a mechanical float valve shut off.

This opens up a solenoid when the low water pressure sensor trips and closes the solenoid when the high water sensor trips.

This was I always have ro/di but it is not constantly cycling on and off.

Next step is to install an ATK setup into my ATO reservoir to fill from the Ro/Di 55g barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Avast barrel tender that my RoDi is hooked up to. Low and high pressure sensors an a mechanical float valve shut off.

This opens up a solenoid when the low water pressure sensor trips and closes the solenoid when the high water sensor trips.

This was I always have ro/di but it is not constantly cycling on and off.

Next step is to install an ATK setup into my ATO reservoir to fill from the Ro/Di 55g barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have my ATO in my 55 gallon barrel to. I check it periodically and flip a valve to fill it with a float valve to turn it off. I only need to fill it once every couple months.

Back