Kessil

Anyone seen a snail like this?

Ibn

Looks like an abalone. Anyone seen anything like this out there?

NNNzvDAc.jpg

WHFf8rvC.jpg

I didn't. That sucker is in Dennis' tank. Someone else thinks it might be something like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ass%E2%80%99s_ear_abalone

He's had it for about 4 months and it's still just slightly larger than an adult stomatella. Speaking of Stomatella, just saw this in someone's tank thread. :eek:

IMG_6128.jpg

It's not a donkey ear but it is a abalone. I forget the exact one but I've seen the shell before :O)

I've got the black and white ones like in the last picture.

The first is indeed a Haliotis, hard to tell the species though since it's so small, most abalone change dramatically from juvenile to adult due to the change in diet as their radula grows and is able to accept larger food items. Whatever it is, it's real cool.

I have one in my shell collection :lol:

I can most likely ID when I get to work where my library now lives.

Ibn said:
Jeremy, where'd you get that black and white one from?

They just showed up, I have both the white and tan and black and white Stomatellas.

The trick to IDing abs are the vents (that one looks to have 8 open oval shaped vents) the texture of the shell (that one looks ribbed), obviously color, both body and shell. With those in mind, I believe Gresham is correct, the donkeys ear is what is most likely is, a good tropical species that was probably a hitchhiker. Google Haliotis asinina.

GreshamH said:
It's not a donkey ear but it is a abalone. I forget the exact one but I've seen the shell before :O)

Jeremy I don't think it's a donkey ear. The shell shape looks like one but all the D.E. I've ever seen aren't colorful.

Yah the lack of vents will make this hard.

Remember it's juvenile, color is not always 100%, other factors come into play with color especially diet. Captive reds are green due to diet ;)

Does he know where is corals came from in that period?

Did he get ones of the Tahitian clams?

Back