got ethical husbandry?

Ap700 "Do not disconnect under load"?

Hi everyone
@thesassyindian
Newbie electrician here, I got two ap700 and on the cable between the light and the power brick a warning lable says "Do not disconnect under load".

Can anyone explain to me what that means?
it sounds very scary. And I am worry to burn my LED.

What happen if I have power outage?
What's the correct step and precaution to take to plug and unplug the light safely?

Thank you

It means don’t unplug the cables between the lights and the power supply when the lights are on.

Best practice is to turn the lights off any time you are going to mess with cabling.

Should be fine in a power outage or otherwise disconnecting the power at the plug in the wall, whether physically unplugging or turning off power to an outlet.

Many electronics have stated somewhere that in order to prevent damage, they have to be turned off in a cartain way; take gaming consoles for example, PS4 displays a message on screen with the warning. I guess many electronics that rely a lot on software have a certain way of turning power off in order to prevent damage not only to electronic components but the software encoded? within the unit.

It means don’t unplug the cables between the lights and the power supply when the lights are on.

Best practice is to turn the lights off any time you are going to mess with cabling.

Should be fine in a power outage or otherwise disconnecting the power at the plug in the wall, whether physically unplugging or turning off power to an outlet.
Thank you

Many electronics have stated somewhere that in order to prevent damage, they have to be turned off in a cartain way; take gaming consoles for example, PS4 displays a message on screen with the warning. I guess many electronics that rely a lot on software have a certain way of turning power off in order to prevent damage not only to electronic components but the software encoded? within the unit.
Thanks

@JVU and @xcaret are spot on!
Behaviorally, you typically don’t want to disconnect the device side with the power is on.
Always disconnect from the 120V side first.

If you want to know exactly why this is required from an electronics standpoint point, I’m happy to go into further detail.

I do! :)

Is it because the stored energy in the capacitors can discharge and or store energy until the next power cycle because there isn't the usual path to ground?
I'm just going to make an educated guess on this, but when disconnecting under load it is possible that as you're pulling the connector apart you might end up with very little contact area between the conductors which may cause some level of arcing to occur. Electrical fires are due to arcing as electrons flying through the air tend make a lot of heat and can melt the insulation possibly, or cause charring on the metallic surfaces which further reduces total contact area, etc. If you've ever had a cheaper pump or something (i.e. Jebao brand) you might notice (visually or audibly) this effect as things are plugged in or unplugged (unfortunately I've noticed it on the 120VAC side of things with the plug).

But that's just my guess. Don't think it's something as nefarious as discharging capacitors.

Back