Kessil

Apex vs GHL

Prince Shah

Supporting Member
I have read a lot and looked at the R2R forum and concluded that GHL is built like a tank and its robust which is what you need for automation.

I have a small system WB 80.4 and wanted to automate following stuff

- Protein skimmer overflow protection using sensor
- Fill the 16 gallons RO water using a schedule (and prevent overflow with a sensor)
- Measure parameter and tmp
- Notification for the pump, fan, lights etc failures. (Currently, I have 2 AI HD, 2 Nero, 2 Temp, 1 UV, 1 Protein Skimmer, 1 ATO, 1 Fuge lights, 1 Fan (cooling), 1 cabinet light) So I guess I will need to buy extra power bar :(

Having said that which model you would recommend. I never had any controller on my tank. I most run LPS but slowly planning to go to SPS.....

PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER INCLUDES
  • ProfiLux 4 controller, Black
  • ProfiLux 4 power supply
  • Water temperature sensor
  • USB cable
PROFILUX 4 MEGA-SET 6E INCLUDES
  • ProfiLux 4 controller, Black
  • pH probe
  • Redox probe
  • Conductivity probe
  • Powerbar 6E-PAB with PAB-cable 2m
  • Calibration fluids (pH 7&9, 50ms, 220mV)
  • USB cable
  • Null plug
PROFILUX 4 ULTIMATE-SET 6E INCLUDES
  • ProfiLux 4 controller, White
  • pH probe
  • Redox probe
  • Conductivity probe
  • Powerbar 6E-PAB with PAB-cable 2m
  • ProfiLux Touch with PAB cable 2m
  • Calibration fluids (pH 7&9, 50ms, 220mV)
  • USB cable
  • Null plug

I got the ultimate package. I like the screen controller adder to the package while it's not critical it can make things easy and give you good control locally without app.
I would say at least get the mega cause u have all the probs with it out of the package.
GHL p4 is one of the best controller I ever owned in my 12 years of reefing using most controllers in the market from reef keeper to apex to sense..ghl probs readings and stability are second to none..

I actually felt like making a similar topic the other day after watching a GHL unboxing video. Was really interested in seeing a very non-biased list of what one can do, and if the other can do it too, unfortunately there really aren't that many GHL users so figured it might be difficult. Plus trying to weed out any biasing might be hard since many people naturally have a "I have this, therefore it's good" mentality and you might have some real bias towards the product, and the exactly opposite is true too if you've had problems people very often can be very biased against said products, it's why you see reviews that are either shining or scathing where the vast majority should be closer to the middle but you don't see the "yeah it's alright... but not a necessity" type of reviews.

I actually felt like making a similar topic the other day after watching a GHL unboxing video. Was really interested in seeing a very non-biased list of what one can do, and if the other can do it too, unfortunately there really aren't that many GHL users so figured it might be difficult. Plus trying to weed out any biasing might be hard since many people naturally have a "I have this, therefore it's good" mentality and you might have some real bias towards the product, and the exactly opposite is true too if you've had problems people very often can be very biased against said products, it's why you see reviews that are either shining or scathing where the vast majority should be closer to the middle but you don't see the "yeah it's alright... but not a necessity" type of reviews.
There is good amount of unboxing videos, comparisons and usage reviews btw.
This is one of the very useful threads about ghl. I learned alot from it and the user ditto

Last edited:
Honestly I do not make much of it. This is your ORP prob. Some of the simplest ways to use it is to get an indication if something big died in your system or to get oxygen level indication. Basically one of the water quality indicators, but honestly I do not depend on it
This is good article on the ORP
Thank you this is great article.

I am always split between automation vs getting corals/fish. Looking at the price I might have to shell around $1.2K for the Mega + extra power bar. Have you seen any deals during Holiday season ?

Thank you this is great article.

I am always split between automation vs getting corals/fish. Looking at the price I might have to shell around $1.2K for the Mega + extra power bar. Have you seen any deals during Holiday season ?
When I compared apple to apple where you compare the functions of what you get from the one ghl box, to what u need to get to the same level of functions on the apex, ghl was cheaper actually. Ofcourse in my case it was throwing away load of $$ worth of apex but u get the picture.
Usually they have sales on major holidays, I have seen up to 15% if my memory is not failing me.
Good luck.

Back