Reef nutrition

[Apr 12, 2014] New Hobbyist Workshop 2014 (Hayward, CA)

BAR_poster_version1.jpg

Are you a new hobbyist looking for advice and answers to your questions? How about an experienced club member who wants to share your expertise with people just starting out in the hobby? If so, then the New Hobbyist Workshop is for you!

This event will be structured as stations with different topics that are important to starting your first saltwater reef aquarium. Expert BAR members will be running the different stations to share their knowledge and answer your questions on the different topics. You can go table to table to whichever topics interest you, and you can also mingle with your fellow hobbyists and build up a great support network! Get introduced to the BAR members and learn more about our club!

There's no obligation to become a BAR member. Anyone is welcome to attend the event! However, anyone who decides to become a member at the event gets to go home with a frag pack of beginner corals! BAR membership is only $30 and gets you access to all our fun events, speakers, and frag swaps!

During the workshop, there will also be a gear swap where club members can sell their lightly used equipment. This is a great way to pick up discounted equipment for your aquarium!

Update! Here are the topics that will be covered at the different stations:
1) Fishless Cycling - free bottles of ammonia and a water testing demo!
2) Water - mixing salt water, chemistry, and testing!
3) Reef Aquarium Selection and Life Support - examples of filtration equipment!
4) Flow - demo of different power heads!
5) Lighting - examples of different types of light fixtures!

Also, we'll have lunch for sale at the event! Pizza, chips, and soda :)

Last edited:
One thing I've learned is that it seems no matter what I do there is always more to learn. Haha.

That said there are some things I'm sure I could talk about :
1. Ro/di and water quality (show how to use a tds meter and how to set up an ro/di system)
2. Fish less cycle - I've used this the last few times and am a big fan of it. It's nice that we've got ace hardware here to get the required ammonia. It's cheap enough we could give away tiny bottles of it. Could also explain the nitrogen cycle.
3. Test kits and how to use them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

One thing I've learned is that it seems no matter what I do there is always more to learn. Haha.

That said there are some things I'm sure I could talk about :
1. Ro/di and water quality (show how to use a tds meter and how to set up an ro/di system)
2. Fish less cycle - I've used this the last few times and am a big fan of it. It's nice that we've got ace hardware here to get the required ammonia. It's cheap enough we could give away tiny bottles of it. Could also explain the nitrogen cycle.
3. Test kits and how to use them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Great! I responded to you over on the volunteer thread!

Felicia,
OK, I will be there full of stupid newbie questions.
What should I bring? Notebook? Camera?Vodka; maybe Scotch?

David
Great to hear you will be attending! A notebook might be nice to jot down anything you think you won't remember. And come with all your questions because this will be informal so that you all can mingle and ask your specific questions. A camera could come in handy too of course. Hopefully it won't be stressful enough to need the vodka or scotch :)

I was thinking the booze would be good for those SW veterans who will endure all my questions.
Sounds like a notebook & a camera are in order. Now if I can only remember how to operate my wife's camera?!

I was thinking the booze would be good for those SW veterans who will endure all my questions.
Sounds like a notebook & a camera are in order. Now if I can only remember how to operate my wife's camera?!
A camera probably isn't that necessary! We'll have a few demos and things, but a notepad should be plenty if a camera is too much work :) And the volunteers don't mind answering your questions. Most of us like sharing our knowledge with new hobbyists. Its always great to see new people get hooked on this hobby :)

I just updated the first post with a list of the topics that will be covered at the different stations. Also, I wanted to let everyone know that we will have lunch for sale at the event!

hey guys i have a few frags i'd like to donate, but i'm so busy with work that i won't be able to meet anyone far.

would anyone be willing to come by San Carlos during this week in the evening to pick them up? it's a rock full of mushrooms and a mini mohawk colony with mushrooms on it. also another mini zoa colony.

they came from deca and roberto.

Hi all! Just wanted to let you know that if you're a new hobbyist/member who already paid for BAR membership before the event, you can also go home with a frag pack of beginner corals for becoming a member. Just come see us at the BAR membership table!

Back