got ethical husbandry?

Aquabiomics Live Rock Rubble

RandyC

Supporting Member
I ordered some live rock rubble from Aquabiomics and received it today. They do DNA testing on the microbiome of each sample they send out. I ordered out of interest really, but who doesn’t need some biodiversity? Here’s the report they send along with the rubble. Of course there’s no way to verify, but of interest is they do test for some pests like aiptasia, Dinos, Acro eating flatworms, ich as well as many others.

CAC8D304-6B84-4A75-9F91-CA8A4F683BCB.png

https://aquabiomics.com/product/live-reef-rubble

Attachments

• dna01.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Did you try one of their tests too? I want to do one in a few months once my new tank has been up for awhile to see what the biodiversity is as well as what pests may be lurching.

I think they’re doing some cool stuff and it will be interesting to see what they can learn through their tests

Did you try one of their tests too? I want to do one in a few months once my new tank has been up for awhile to see what the biodiversity is as well as what pests may be lurching.

I think they’re doing some cool stuff and it will be interesting to see what they can learn through their tests

i did, but they do them in batches. They have my sample and I expect results around 5/15.

their sample testing schedule is here

You bought like the last order of rubble or something? Their notify when available doesn't seem to be working either.

I also got mine today as well. I got notified and purchased within a minute of getting the notification email!

I don't really have a fuge (algae reactor only), so I'll stick it in my skimmer chamber for now and turn the skimmer off.

This looks interesting. I'll get inline for the next batch. Do you just use the rocks, or you pour the shipped water in the tank as well?

I start with dry rock. Hopefully this will add some biodiversity.

This looks interesting. I'll get inline for the next batch. Do you just use the rocks, or you pour the shipped water in the tank as well?

I start with dry rock. Hopefully this will add some biodiversity.

Directions say to dump everything in, rock and water. You should turn off skimmer and UV as well.

Last edited:
I see the appeal in using this to seed a new dry rock dead tank, as an alternative to the bacteria-in-a-bottle products.

But I don’t see how this would help much in an established tank since whatever is added will be outnumbered a billion to 1 by the existing microbiome.

I see the appeal in using this to seed a new dry rock dead tank, as an alternative to the bacteria-in-a-bottle products.

But I don’t see how this would help much in an established tank since whatever is added will be outnumbered a billion to 1 by the existing microbiome.
They offer before and after testing if you doubt it adds a benefit. They’ll quantify the changes.

I wonder if anyone has done that yet and seen a change or not?

Very interesting that they test for parasites! Brook, ich even men and aefw! And also certain dinos. I think that would be awesome to find out if your tank actually has ich or not.

Good question - which is if the innoculation of new microbes is less effective in an established tank. I would guess the mechanism for rejecting the new culture is out competition for space by the existing microbes, so without a place to attach they get skimmed out eventually - similar to our guts (the theory is that if our GI tract is crammed full of good bugs, there won’t be space for new potentially bad ones to take ahold and reach critical mass). But what if the new bugs are introduced on rocks - like a houseguest who shows up with their own inflatable mattress, maybe then they are harder to get rid of?

Also FYI here is my tank’s report summary, I’ll post the rest in my tank thread.

Attachments

• 95C01BF8-B0A6-461C-B99B-E5C8DCF00EFB.jpeg
    95C01BF8-B0A6-461C-B99B-E5C8DCF00EFB.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 179
Good question - which is if the innoculation of new microbes is less effective in an established tank. I would guess the mechanism for rejecting the new culture is out competition for space by the existing microbes, so without a place to attach they get skimmed out eventually - similar to our guts (the theory is that if our GI tract is crammed full of good bugs, there won’t be space for new potentially bad ones to take ahold and reach critical mass). But what if the new bugs are introduced on rocks - like a houseguest who shows up with their own inflatable mattress, maybe then they are harder to get rid of?

Also FYI here is my tank’s report summary, I’ll post the rest in my tank thread.
Diversity show-off

It's been two weeks since I introduced the live reef rubble. I also had a huge bout of dinoflagellates (ostreopsis) that I am getting a good grip on now (UV). I don't think I see any differences, though with the dinos being crazy, I guess it's been hard to see if anything has changed.

In addition to this, I'm thinking of getting an order from Algae Barn (EcoPods and OceanMagic) to see if I can add even more. Think that's worth it, or should the reef rubble been enough?

It's been two weeks since I introduced the live reef rubble. I also had a huge bout of dinoflagellates (ostreopsis) that I am getting a good grip on now (UV). I don't think I see any differences, though with the dinos being crazy, I guess it's been hard to see if anything has changed.

In addition to this, I'm thinking of getting an order from Algae Barn (EcoPods and OceanMagic) to see if I can add even more. Think that's worth it, or should the reef rubble been enough?
So did the addition of the Live Rubble cause the dinos or were the dinos in your tank which is why you added the rubble?

I already had dinos, it was my attempt at increasing diversity to help with my battle with dinos.
Thank you for your reply. Was your tank a newly cycled tank at the time? I just bought some of this Live Rubble today to seed a new tank set up with new dry rock aqua scape. In your experience did the rubble introduce any unwanted pests or inverts?

I subscribe to get notified when the rubble are back in stock. Received the notification email this morning and promptly order it. Started my tank from dry rock and bottle bacteria. Hopefully the rubble can add some biodiversity.

Back