got ethical husbandry?

Aquaforest Reef Salt: Magnesium is high (1680ppm)

kinetic

Supporting Member
Anyone else here use Aquaforest Reef Salt? I have 3 buckets, all purchased at separate times (months apart), all reading 1680ppm magnesium on my Red Sea test kit, and off the charts (over 1500ppm) on my brand new Salifert test kit.

Salinity: 1.026 (just calibrated refractometer with two separate calibration fluids)
Temp: 78 degrees
Mg: 1680ppm

If you have it, would you mind mixing a small batch up and testing your Mg?

It's a weird coincidence that I have two separate test kits (different brands too) and three totally different buckets of salt, all showing 1680ppm magnesium (consistently).

One of my AF salt buckets has a plastic handle and a REALLY difficult to open and close lid. The newer two have metal handles and a much easier to close lid. Not sure if that means anything.

I’ll check this weekend. Never bothered to test new water, but a few weeks ago I noticed my snails coming to a halt so I checked the Mg. Sure enough, just shy of 1700. I attributed it to my doser, but come to think of it, that thing’s been dosing the same amount for years. Ran out of Aquavitro a few months ago so perhaps the AF slowly pushed the Mg to dangerous levels.

FWIW, snails tend to lock up around 1600. Amazing to see them bounce back if the Mg is put back in check quickly.

Agree on the buckets - Dumped the AF into a Aquavitro bucket.

I’ll check this weekend. Never bothered to test new water, but a few weeks ago I noticed my snails coming to a halt so I checked the Mg. Sure enough, just shy of 1700. I attributed it to my doser, but come to think of it, that thing’s been dosing the same amount for years. Ran out of Aquavitro a few months ago so perhaps the AF slowly pushed the Mg to dangerous levels.

FWIW, snails tend to lock up around 1600. Amazing to see them bounce back if the Mg is put back in check quickly.

Agree on the buckets - Dumped the AF into a Aquavitro bucket.

Yup, my snails have always been super slow. I'm going to send Aquaforest a sample of my 3 salt buckets... but they could just deny it and not refund me.

turns out my text kit for MG from redsea was expired, can I bring my water sample to you for MG test while I wait for my new kit to arrive? Im using AF sea salt, not reef salt btw.

turns out my text kit for MG from redsea was expired, can I bring my water sample to you for MG test while I wait for my new kit to arrive? Im using AF sea salt, not reef salt btw.

Sea salt has a much lower rating on Mg (per their website). But happy to test it for you and I'm interested in the results! Let me know when you want to come by. I might be out most of the day tomorrow, but should be around tonight and Sunday.

FYI - Mine came in at 1410. This was from a late-2016 batch.

So my issue was either AquaVitro being low, a poorly prepared mix of Mg, or..

Back