High Tide Aquatics

aquaponics or urchin culling

anyone currently do aquaponics as an alternative food source or do urchin catching of the coast of California for kelp restoration purposes and harvesting?

I lumped two topics in 1 post really for convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've really liked the idea of urchin collecting from Monterey bay for a while - seems like there has to be a business opportunity there somehow. I do recall a local chef, or someone else who is trying to do this, saying the local urchins don't taste very good though. Which is weird because uni from Santa Barbara and Mendocino are considered good and cost restaurants quite a bit.

I've really liked the idea of urchin collecting from Monterey bay for a while - seems like there has to be a business opportunity there somehow. I do recall a local chef, or someone else who is trying to do this, saying the local urchins don't taste very good though. Which is weird because uni from Santa Barbara and Mendocino are considered good and cost restaurants quite a bit.
i think its the urchins closer to shore... When I looked into urchin collecting before, there used to be a rule that you can collect within 60 miles of restricted zones (most beaches and state parks)... not sure if that has changed. Believe urchins in SB are collected offshore in deeper waters.

Hah -- or just grab em out of the tank! I've been meaning to get back into my urchin breeding project... though not sure if I would eat those... :)

speaking of aquaponics, I've always bee tempted to set one up with edible fish and shellfish...

Might be tempted to see about doing somethign like that with the 150G I have laying around one days... 1-2 salmon and mussels... mmmm...

Ive been trying to look for people who are urchin diving but only found people up in Mendocino which is kind of far. Do you have anyone I can contact? I too am wondering why people say urchin from Monterey isnt as good as other parts... especially since they are devastating the abalone population.

My dad got very into aeroponics during quarantine and now grows his own lettuce, herbs, and veggies. He got me hooked so I have a small setup with just herbs currently. It’s pretty impressive how quickly things grow in this format. They get circulated water in a 5 min on 25 min off rotation, and the photoperiod is from 3am-6pm. The setup I’m using has 8 gal of water and needs to be filled every 2 days, but I top off daily. Every two weeks it reminds me to add nutrients, I’m using the miracle grow stuff that came with the pods I’m growing. I think it would be cool to have the nutrients created naturally from fish like aquaponic, but aeroponics are a nice option for smaller space.
CC1EA050-7ABB-47AD-A24B-C6C4B65334DB.jpeg

@Rostato with your setup, the plants are in ceramic balls. Do their roots always contact the water, or does a pump provide water on an on/off schedule like this setup?

My dad got very into aeroponics during quarantine and now grows his own lettuce, herbs, and veggies. He got me hooked so I have a small setup with just herbs currently. It’s pretty impressive how quickly things grow in this format. They get circulated water in a 5 min on 25 min off rotation, and the photoperiod is from 3am-6pm. The setup I’m using has 8 gal of water and needs to be filled every 2 days, but I top off daily. Every two weeks it reminds me to add nutrients, I’m using the miracle grow stuff that came with the pods I’m growing. I think it would be cool to have the nutrients created naturally from fish like aquaponic, but aeroponics are a nice option for smaller space.

@Rostato with your setup, the plants are in ceramic balls. Do their roots always contact the water, or does a pump provide water on an on/off schedule like this setup?

I have one of those as well. I just use it to start my seeds then transfer to the aquaponics system after two weeks.

My media bed gets fed by a mag 9 pump and has a bell siphon. Really cool how it works. This is a picture from after I started it a few months back. The bed is constantly full of veggies now. I’ll have to snap a new pic.
A1E0E377-C2B1-437A-9F0F-7C2DAF39A0AF.jpeg

I have one of those as well. I just use it to start my seeds then transfer to the aquaponics system after two weeks.

My media bed gets fed by a mag 9 pump and has a bell siphon. Really cool how it works. This is a picture from after I started it a few months back. The bed is constantly full of veggies now. I’ll have to snap a new pic. View attachment 20942
Wow, bell siphons are neat. thanks for sharing those details.

My media bed gets fed by a mag 9 pump and has a bell siphon. Really cool how it works. This is a picture from after I started it a few months back. The bed is constantly full of veggies now. I’ll have to snap a new pic. View attachment 20942

are you using clay balls as substrate? I would be doing sturgeon already if I didnt have shrimp in my aquaponics

Back