Reef nutrition

A's 56g mixed reef

Adauqua

Supporting Member
Hello folks,

I got introduced to BAR when I bought a RBTA from a member.
So here I am, a newbie to the forum.

I've started reefing since 2014-15 when yellow tang and sea apple were widely available for $20 :)

My old 55 gallons acrylic tank with "ancient" LEDs fixtures

IMG_0120.JPG

After moving twice within 6 months in 2018, one of the sea apple died and nuked almost everything.
Started again with 56G glass tank with only xenia, kenya tree, green hairy mushrooms and leather

IMG_1570.JPG

The tank was neglected due to Covid, stress from new job,... The copperband died :(

My 2022's resolution: reviving our life from Covid started with the tank.

Jan-2022

IMG_3266.jpg

And now Oct-2022

IMG_2070.JPG

Current fish: a pair of ocellaris clown, maroon clown, yellow clown goby, firefish goby, pajama cardinal, yellow coris wrasse and blue cleaner wrasse
Other critters: a cleaner shrimp, 3 bumblebee snails, an astrea snail. And tank is infested with unwanted critters ie. vermetid snails :(
Husbandry:
- Daily 1% water change, and kalkwasser + vinegar top off.
- Monthly vacuum sand and loop back water to the tank thru filter sock, 1/5 dose of chemiclean (2-3 gallons of water spilled out thru skimmer, replaced them with fresh saltwater)
- Simple sump with only skimmer, some rocks & crushed coral sand with 24hrs light to grow/collect algae if any.

I haven't tested water parameters since my API test kit "died" in 2018.
It's a crime :) I will buy a test kit soon.

Last edited:
I love the colonies! I bet your tank has mesmerizing motion.
Thank you!
It's quite a challenge to place and have the RBTAs staying in one place.
I have tinkered a lot with 3 nano circulate pumps and big mag-12 return pump to have the desired flow for the torch, goniopora and RBTAs.

Hello folks,

I got introduced to BAR when I bought a RBTA from a member.
So here I am, a newbie to the forum.

I've started reefing since 2014-15 when yellow tang and sea apple were widely available for $20 :)

My old 55 gallons acrylic tank with "ancient" LEDs fixtures

View attachment 42497

After moving twice within 6 months in 2018, one of the sea apple died and nuked almost everything.
Started again with 56G glass tank with only xenia, kenya tree, green hairy mushrooms and leather

View attachment 42498

The tank was neglected due to Covid, stress from new job,... The copperband died :(

My 2022's resolution: reviving our life from Covid started with the tank.

Jan-2022

View attachment 42499

And now Oct-2022

View attachment 42500

Current fish: a pair of ocellaris clown, maroon clown, yellow clown goby, firefish goby, pajama cardinal, yellow coris wrasse and blue cleaner wrasse
Other critters: a cleaner shrimp, 3 bumblebee snails, an astrea snail. And tank is infested with unwanted critters ie. vermetid snails :(
Husbandry:
- Daily 1% water change, and kalkwasser + vinegar top off.
- Monthly vacuum sand and loop back water to the tank thru filter sock, 1/5 dose of chemiclean (2-3 gallons of water spilled out thru skimmer, replaced them with fresh saltwater)
- Simple sump with only skimmer, some rocks & crushed coral sand with 24hrs light to grow/collect algae if any.

I haven't tested water parameters since my API test kit "died" in 2018.
It's a crime :) I will buy a test kit soon.
I think I have an extra red sea test kit (alk, Calc, mg) if you want to come by and pick it up. I'm in Castro Valley.

Thank you!
There are two of them. The one left that you saw was half-opened so I picked this one.
I do not know that we can bargain the price at CFM.
I just follow other two gentlemen to bargain and got this for $100 ($25 off from price tag).
Yup. Anything $100 or more I always try and get some discount on it and most do give some off their stated price. I Got an Aussie Gold Torch for $230 regular price $300.

Back