Reef nutrition

Ashburn’s backyard 150g low maintenance tank

Looks like a fun project! And I bet kids would love it.

If temp is an issue for tropical fish, maybe northern CA tidal pool-type diversity? A tidal pool in a back yard would be quite, uhh, cool!

I might work on something to keep the tub with stable temperatures with bottom insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks awesome and a really cool idea if ya can pull it off. I agree keeping the temp somewhat normal would be best and I know running a heater on that beast will cost an arm and a leg so my guess is that’s the main concern and a few 300 watt heaters would keep it stable but add a good amount to PGE’s already fat pockets.
A thought if it’s possible using that black grid tubing that they use to heat pools using the sun and just run a pump into that system and back again. Unsure how to control it to not let it spike the temps and keep it steady buy I do know those things heat my parents pool for 0 cost.

corals and fishes moved back to garage system. and currently only running cycled SW. so low maintenance outdoor SW tank without heater is not very realistic. You can't keep any corals or fishes.

although snails survived all winter long.

right now it's just piles of liverock with SW.

Take purple urchins! There's zero shortage of those guys... in fact they're about to make kelp go extinct from this area.

edit: actually I don't know what fishing laws are on them, should be everything goes at this point though.

Take purple urchins! There's zero shortage of those guys... in fact they're about to make kelp go extinct from this area.

edit: actually I don't know what fishing laws are on them, should be everything goes at this point though.
29.06. Purple Sea Urchin.

(a) Except as provided in this section, the daily bag limit for purple sea urchin is 35 individuals.

(b) The daily bag limit for purple sea urchin is forty (40) gallons when taken while skin or SCUBA diving in ocean waters of the following counties: Humboldt, Mendocino, and Sonoma.

(c) There is no possession limit for purple sea urchin.

(d) Notwithstanding subsection (b) of this Section, there is no bag limit for take of purple sea urchins in Caspar Cove, in Mendocino County in the area east of a straight line drawn between 39 o 22.045' N. lat. 123o 49.462' W. long. and 39o 21.695' N. lat. 123o 49.423' W. long. for the purpose of restoring kelp. The purple sea urchins may only be taken by hand or with manually operated hand-held tools.

(a) Except as provided in this section, the daily bag limit for purple sea urchin is 35 individuals.

(b) The daily bag limit for purple sea urchin is forty (40) gallons when taken while skin or SCUBA diving in ocean waters of the following counties: Humboldt, Mendocino, and Sonoma.

(d) Notwithstanding subsection (b) of this Section, there is no bag limit for take of purple sea urchins in Caspar Cove, in Mendocino County in the area east of a straight line drawn between 39 o 22.045' N. lat. 123o 49.462' W. long. and 39o 21.695' N. lat. 123o 49.423' W. long. for the purpose of restoring kelp. The purple sea urchins may only be taken by hand or with manually operated hand-held tools.
Sounds dee-lish

How do I read this? a) seems to suggest you can get 35 urchins, unless b) you are in those 3 counties then you can have 40 gallons worth of them? (gallon sized bags I'm guessing?) but then c) says you can possess as many as you want? Does that mean catch as many as you want, then later sift through the ones you want to keep or something?

Back