Kessil

Ashburn's 187g endgame II

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Alk 8.21
CA 542
MG 1434
PO4 .04

Finally cleaned out my sump's first and last chamber, removed 2-3 years worth of detritus. and cleaned my skimmer as well. it was full of feather duster inside and around.

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Alk 8.08
CA 448
MG 1520
PO4 .03
Ph 7.9- 8.2

Corals under natural sunlight

c21cbe6727c4374ee93b5ea3a53e5c23.jpg
18785e167bf6571acb69ee39a633c5a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Yeah I’m trying to see if I can get the print surface to leave some holes so water can go in, but it’s heavy enough with a few frags will be able to sink it to the bottom

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
So how much does a piece of quarter inch acrylic cost, versus the filament that it takes to print all that?

Or were you comparing to someone else making said frag racks?

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
So how much does a piece of quarter inch acrylic cost, versus the filament that it takes to print all that?

Or were you comparing to someone else making said frag racks?
I don’t have the tool to make neatly cut holes for acrylic. And quoted frag rack is quiet expensive to cover all my frag tanks. And getting a cnc machine is way out of my budget.

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
Filament is usually about $20 for a kg spool
So I'm guessing that is less than a kg worth of filament, but doesn't seem to be that great of a cost savings.

I don’t have the tool to make neatly cut holes for acrylic. And quoted frag rack is quiet expensive to cover all my frag tanks. And getting a cnc machine is way out of my budget.
No one in the club has a CNC? Some things that come to mind, hole saw, forstner bit (go slow though), or you could just use a hand held router with a jig to pop out little holes. Or yeah sure, melt plastic into a flat sheet :D

rygh

BOD
Staff member
Yes, that can be a pain.
A forstner bit in a drill press works well, if you go nice and slow. But expect to dull your bit fast.

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Yes, that can be a pain.
A forstner bit in a drill press works well, if you go nice and slow. But expect to dull your bit fast.
drill press wont give me a nice neat formation, and it's messy too. also not to mention the burnt fumes.

rygh

BOD
Staff member
drill press wont give me a nice neat formation, and it's messy too. also not to mention the burnt fumes.
Ruler + a spritz of water.
But if I had a 3D printer, I would probably use it also ... just because it is there.

---

Suggestion:
I bought a nice frag rag somewhere that has a rubber gasket in each hole, that nicely holds the frag. See below.
I wonder if you could 3D print a thin piece of plastic that sticks out, kindof in an X pattern, to do the same.
It is really handy not having frags go flying if there is a bit of current or you bump them.

IMG_0626.jpg

RandyC

Supporting Member
But if I had a 3D printer, I would probably use it also ... just because it is there.

---

Suggestion:
I bought a nice frag rag somewhere that has a rubber gasket in each hole, that nicely holds the frag. See below.
I wonder if you could 3D print a thin piece of plastic that sticks out, kindof in an X pattern, to do the same.
It is really handy not having frags go flying if there is a bit of current or you bump them.

View attachment 25418

Not exactly what you want, but you could probably print the arms a little shorter to fit plugs.

ashburn2k

Supporting Member

---

Suggestion:

View attachment 25418
I made holes smaller, and plugs doesn’t come out regardless the current

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
have you tried those? Seems like an interesting way to mount softies, I’d think it might still slime out
Basically $1.30 to mount a frag... seems kind of pricey. Also wonder if it'll behave like a tree with a clamp on it, and just grow around it, effectively chopping it down in size.

Chromis

Supporting Member
This, the acrylic heats a lot and melts as you drill it and releases nasty fumes, and you have to go slowly or it melts too much. It’s something I might tell my restless kid to go outside and drill 40 holes in a piece of acrylic except I’d worry about the fumes and the holes would not be straight. Tap plastics charges too much to drill holes though.

The buoyancy of the 3D print material would make a better mushroom/nem box though right?