Jestersix

ATO Creation for $12?

Ok I'm looking to use an ATO from now on, and I was wondering what do you guy's think about the ATO that @King of DIY is doing?
Do you guy's think is safe to do that ?

I just skimmed through the video. But looks like float switch and a relay? This is what autotopoff. Com has been selling for years. Works fine. Adding a second float for redundancy helps.

Damnit now I am going to make one as well :)

Just ordered 2x sensors - one for the main level and second as a failsafe cutoff. This is going to be fun!

Last edited:
To answer the basic question, yes, an ATO is just a float switch and a pump. Honestly other than not having Apex integration (why I don't have one), the Tunze Osmolator is the best approach I've seen, exempting perhaps that I'd prefer to see a mechanical valve at the outlet like the Neptune ATK. I would aim to mimic their system. Also consider if you want normally open or normally closed so that a broken wire doesn't result in a flood*.

For all the grief they get about snails, I've had my optical sensors fail (calcium deposits being the main one, but algae and other biofilm occasionally) in comparison to the number of mechanical float switches. I've also seen at most one internal mechanical reed switch failure in my life, and it was in a substantially higher cycle count application than an ATO.

While we're on the topic, I advise against pressure switch ATOs. I used to love them until I watched one get just enough of an air leak that it would register as full, then bleed down and start filling again. It ended up overfilling the sump one cycle at a time. The leak was small enough that it would eventually register as topped off, defeating the on-time safety shutoff.

No matter what your choice of sensors, putting a float valve at the outlet provides a nice inexpensive final mechanical backup.

*Broken wire on is good if you have an over-time shutoff and alarm because it'll let you know about the fault. Broken wire off would be better for a non-redundant application because you need something to keep prevent a flood, be it top-off container volume, another safety, etc.

Damnit now I am going to make one as well :)

Just ordered 2x sensors - one for the main level and second as a failsafe cutoff. This is going to be fun!
I would look for a way to implement some safety measures like maximum on time and maybe even some trend analysis that can get the average on time (closest thing you’ll get to average filling volume) and have it turn off if it’s on time is 1.5x average on time or something along those lines.

How would you go about managing those optical sensors with code? What language would it be?

I would look for a way to implement some safety measures like maximum on time and maybe even some trend analysis that can get the average on time (closest thing you’ll get to average filling volume) and have it turn off if it’s on time is 1.5x average on time or something along those lines.

How would you go about managing those optical sensors with code? What language would it be?

Oh for sure! I’ll be using a WiFi enabled processor called ESP32. The same one that I’m using in my temperature monitor/controller. In fact, I’ll be plugging two of these into that exact unit :)

The code is written in C++

Oh for sure! I’ll be using a WiFi enabled processor called ESP32. The same one that I’m using in my temperature monitor/controller. In fact, I’ll be plugging two of these into that exact unit :)

The code is written in C++
Awesome, I’ll be following along. I’ve got a side project I want to try with aeroponics that would require ATO but the water intake increases as the plants grow so I’d want to customize the leak detection/overfill controls.

@jccaclimber My water container will not be more then 5 gallon jug and that should be ok for my sump to take in even if I will have overflow issues.

I found this type of sensor:
And this relay with socket:

The optical sensor that @thesassyindian is suggesting will complicate my things to much I think :D

I just hope I wont have any issues with the water lvl going up when I stop my return pump for coral feeding and fish feeding.

@jccaclimber My water container will not be more then 5 gallon jug and that should be ok for my sump to take in even if I will have overflow issues.

I found this type of sensor:
And this relay with socket:

The optical sensor that @thesassyindian is suggesting will complicate my things to much I think :D

I just hope I wont have any issues with the water lvl going up when I stop my return pump for coral feeding and fish feeding.
That sensor needs to be mounted through the wall of the sump. Not sure you want to drill your sump.

The water rising when you shut off your pumps shouldn't affect it.

That sensor needs to be mounted through the wall of the sump. Not sure you want to drill your sump.

The water rising when you shut off your pumps shouldn't affect it.
Hmm I just saw that.
I was thinking that the end part is sealed of and I can submerge it in the water if needed. Maybe I can fill the end of the sensor where the cable is coming out with some silicon and then make something to attach it on the sump inside on an acceptable lvl.

They do make inexpensive waterproof float switches, just a matter of finding one.
Potting it in would work too, but I wouldn’t go there unless you can’t find one premade.

Those sensors look an awful lot like the neptune v1 sensors which has issues when submerged. They too are technically meant to be mounted with the wires dry. But probably worth it for the price.

Back