Jestersix

Attack of the Killer Chalice

Hey Folks,
It was Gresham that saw a picture of a medium size Pink Panther chalice I have very close to my dendros and offered a head's up regarding the proximity between them put the dendros at risk of damage. I'd never seen my chalice extend sweepers so I took the advise of "one who's tried" and moved it. Still, I did this move based on trust rather than personal experience.

OK..........Story gets shorter now. I recently found a few cool corals down at Neptune and added them to my tank. This was shortly after seeing Derek at O.T. and purchasing the chalice deal of the day which was, Frog-in-the-blender chalice. You likely sawhis post, it was the deal of the day for sure.

What I didn't know was that this chalice was the Hannibal Lecter of the chalice world. It happily showed signs of vigorous new growth, great color and no sign of malice. This afternoon, I come home to find a sweeper from the chalice "glued" to the mycedium and tissue receding at the speed of sound. It looked like some of Rod's fish food stuck between them. I separated them and moved the two. You can still see part of the sweeper yet to completely retract into the largest of the chalice's eyes. The three new pieces are further from the big Pink Panther chalice above them that they look in the image. I "think" they are a safe distance.

Take away message: Separate your chalice from anything else that would be hurt by a long and nasty sweeper tentacle.

The culprit chalice and a group photo of the new chalice, cyphastrea and mycedium left to right:
FrogInTheBlenderChalice.jpg

Chalicecyphastreaandmycedium.jpg

I also got the frog in a blender chalice from Derek yesterday. I have it on my frag rack next to the dark red chalice and galaxy i picked up from him aswell. will it sting other chalices?

sure will as will the galaxy. both are very much attackers.

Good thing i moved my other frags to the back and kept the chalices towards the front. I had them spread about 2" apart...Hope they didnt kill each other by now.

Nice pieces btw screebo!

Thanks, Rommel. I sure like mine too. Most things are in their semi-final arrangement and can stay put now for several months, hopefully. It will surely benefit my tank when I can stop my daily arranging.

Back