got ethical husbandry?

Back from the dead...

I like the variety of textures in there. Those are long polyps on the leathers/toadstools! Do you feed tube anemone directly?

Beautiful!
Very nice!!
Thanks.
I like the variety of textures in there. Those are long polyps on the leathers/toadstools! Do you feed tube anemone directly?
The textures are fun. Neat to play around with the shapes and textures. Especially if the colors aren’t super bright.

I have 5 tube anemones. Originally I target fed, but between reusing old rock, feeding, weekly water change, and no skimmer, the bioload was too high.

Haven’t target fed in a few months. Watching the tank as it changes to see what to adjust.

Very nice, looks like an easy to maintain tank too. I absolutely loved my softy tank, just throw in a big honkin piece of colt coral, a few anemones that don't know when to stop splitting, and I'll have my instant nostalgia.

Thanks Art.

It’s difficult, but I’ve been forcing myself not to get any anglers.

Need to get a Diamond goby to sift the sand. Maybe some clowns and dunno what else for a steady supply of fish poop for the corals, tube anemones, and fan worms.

Been seeing some nice anglers show up at AC too :(

or just get a cuke

Have a tigertail right now, but it doesn’t do much. Mostly stays under one or the other piles of rock. Didn’t see it or its sand poop for 2 months. Thought it was dead until it showed up again last week.

Had a brown/black one that was a bit better at cruising the tank. It split open for some reason. I didn’t leave it in the tank to see if it would recover. Maybe I should have. They’re supposed to regenerate well. And some people say that splitting is a mode of reproduction.

Last edited:
Thanks Art.

It’s difficult, but I’ve been forcing myself not to get any anglers.

Need to get a Diamond goby to sift the sand. Maybe some clowns and dunno what else for a steady supply of fish poop for the corals, tube anemones, and fan worms.

Been seeing some nice anglers show up at AC too :(

Ah no more anglers! It was cool seeing them in your tank. Clown poop will work wonders!

Hope all is well now that you're back. I wish I had some frags to give away, but I gave all mine away when I last broke down my tank. I'll keep an eye out for lavender frag!

Hope all is well now that you're back. I wish I had some frags to give away, but I gave all mine away when I last broke down my tank. I'll keep an eye out for lavender frag!

Thanks Art. I have a bit more time these days, so have been able to restart with a low maintenance setup.

No biggie on frags. Here’s a pic of the candycane.

5047D34D-3AE3-49E8-893A-D2D34E659B75.jpeg

Got it from Darcy who got it from someone in the BAR/BARE days. Was hoping it was still around somewhere in the club.

Also looking for “Calfo” pulsing sinularia. I got it from Jim/Bookfish who got it from Anthony Calfo - by way of styrofoam coffee cup when Anthony flew in to the Bay Area once upon a time pre-TSA.

Norm
I’m not sure if we’ve ever actually met, but I can cut you a piece of the supernova psammacora

Hi Erin. I stopped in at Octopus Garden on my way home from work occasionally.

Thanks on the psammie offer. I used to have that one. Nice coral. Roy brought some back from an LA trip and we tried to spread it around the club.

I’m pretty much trying not to keep stonies but for a few exceptions for now. Feel free to extend that offer to other BAR reef farmers though!

Now that you're back from the dead do you remember anything from the other side -- like the bright light. Was it LED, MH or T5's?
It was very dark and murky. Smelled of hydrogen sulfide and low tide.

But talking about LED, check out the unconventional lighting I’m running right now.

A couple of these in lumenarc reflectors. 16 watts total.

324AB684-2CA5-4728-8B1B-76D3FB4B2383.jpeg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017H28D84/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus a Reefbrite blue strip. (p.s. Reefbrite power supplies suck. As does Reefbrite)

Last edited:
What's the issue with Reefbrites? I run multiple XHO's.

Crap capacitors that burn up, and nonresponsive customer service.

Had that happen with 2 of their power supplies after just a few months even though they were exposed in a room with good ventilation. Made in China garbage.

Both failed like this.

99189CD4-A15C-46FC-8A4B-BD8E05A60CB7.jpeg

Ended up getting a 24v 6A power supply which has been fine for over a year now.

It just goes to show that everyone has different experiences. I think I've run six over the last few years and never had an issue. I have had a couple of questions and needed some mounting brackets at one time and when I've called Joy has picked up the phone immediately. One time while driving on an errand on a Sunday.) She bent over backward to get me those brackets even though they were out of stock everywhere and rushed them right to me.

It just goes to show that everyone has different experiences. I think I've run six over the last few years and never had an issue.
[...]
She bent over backward to get me those brackets even though they were out of stock everywhere and rushed them right to me.

Inconsistent quality and customer support is a huge negative to me.

I prefer to deal with businesses where I don’t have to wonder if I get to be one of the lucky customers.

Back