Kessil

Bailout!

Randyadammartin

Supporting Member
So I’m a little concerned. Weeks later after the alk spike in the tank (those that remember) I noticed that my euphilia is starting to bail .

it started with my green hammer and now I noticed my gold and soul dragon have lost a few of the tentacles.

what can I do? These are not cheap pieces and I want to try to salvage them.

it’s ironic because they were doing fine and all the sudden bail out.

Randy

Srt4eric

BOD
Staff member
Here is @NanoCrazed secret formula.

Cipro QT. 125mg cipro to 3G water. add in 250mg amoxicillin for first 2 - 3 days with each redose... after 100% daily water change.

Chromis

Supporting Member
Here is @NanoCrazed secret formula.

Cipro QT. 125mg cipro to 3G water. add in 250mg amoxicillin for first 2 - 3 days with each redose... after 100% daily water change.
Hold up are antibiotics really going to help a coral that is bailing out? Is the problem stress (like from the alk spike) or how would we know it’s bacterial? And what happens when you stress this coral more putting it in QT and then back into the same display bacteria?

jhuynh

Supporting Member
bailing out could mean a lot of things. majority of the time its stressed and detaches itself from the skeleton for survival. could be poor and unsteady water parameters, strong flow, high lights, low / high nutrients or a combination of either one.

i could never keep lps in my tank. i had too much par levels and strong flow. all my acans and euphillias would close up, but never bailed or receded one me. once i took them out and gave them to another reefer with a more lps environment, they were happier. if you have someone close to you to hold them so they can recover while you figure out the cause of it. keep an eye on your other pieces as well. normally when you see signs from one coral, it might cause a domino effect to the others.

Mike Yasin

Supporting Member
there is a lot of good information here from people who want to help you @Randyadammartin - probably the best piece of advice is to rehome your corals until you have the opportunity to diagnose and stabilize your tank and ensure it can support the type animals you want to keep. Or maybe take the opportunity to focus on your 130 gallon build.

Randyadammartin

Supporting Member
I might have jumped the gun on this. The gold hammer is doing beautifully. I moved it to a bit less flow area.

2026F36C-BA1C-4468-AC51-4F97232B495C.jpeg

I had thought perhaps the soul dragon was bailing, but upon closer inspection looks like Maybee the tentacles in one spot are not fully extended.

8D02EC8B-F1DE-41F0-96FA-8F08110C04C0.jpeg

This branching hammer is for sure dead.
I think the piece I saw come off was from this. It was the last head that had survived for a while

47A1E76B-ACA6-49FB-8B18-139382ADC492.jpeg

Randyadammartin

Supporting Member
@Randyadammartin you ask for people's help and you answer no one's questions or take anyone's suggestions. How are we to help?
.... well that’s not entirely true. @Srt4eric asked for pictures and I posted them. My life doesn’t revolve around forums and today was just a prime example of me being busy at work.

I eventually respond to everyone’s posts, please have some patience .

Srt4eric

BOD
Staff member
Especially with that torch it looks just how all of mine did before they melted away. I don't think it's a bail out. (That's my hammer we were able to save)
Resized_20210327_125817.jpeg

Bruce Spiegelman

Supporting Member
Could it be this ??

No. Brown Jelly is clearlytand immediately visible as a ... "brown jelly" like substance.

Srt4eric

BOD
Staff member
The dragon soul. I know my pic is of a hammer but I just recently lost 2 indo gold torches and a dragon soul just before my gold hammer started to melt (pictured)

Randyadammartin

Supporting Member
Hmmm okay so I contacted the member who o bought the soul dragon from. It’s not bailing out, it’s a new head that has just started to grow. This explains why it’s tentacles are not as long and as full as the other two heads!

The gold hammer is doing beautifully .

... the branching hammer. Well that’s history. It didn’t survive the alk spike.

also I lost a very old elegance that was my first piece in the tank.

Randy